4.3GL Volvo Penta runs cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgunn

Cadet
My first post,
Hello I have a 2002 18 foot Campion (new to me) 4.3GL volvo penta.
I'm not finding allot of info, some of the info is a little scarey. I will do allot of the work myself to diagnose my problem.
I took it out on the lake (fresh water) for the first time yesterday, steep learning curve for me, i love a challenge.
The first thing i noticed is the speedo and fuel gauge do not work. I found on here the VDO cluster could be the problem, i will test the fuel tank sending unit and go from there. as for the speedo i have been told to blow out the the line from the speedo down, make sure its not gummed up. I also noticed the oil pressure gauge is a little shaky bouncing around the 40 mark is this normal?

I'm out of town for the rest of the week so i can not check the oil level or smell it for fuel or look at the oil for water (cracked block or heads)
The motor does have a little bit of a ruff idle, but it does smooth out over 1000 rpms. i can launch hard or i can ease into it with no sputtering.

My feeling is if it never really warms up the ruff idle will always be there.

Even if i sit idling for 5 minutes i can put my hand on the valve cover and its hardly warm. so i tried going full speed across the water for 5 minutes and came to a full stop i could still put my hand on the valve cover!

The impeller has been replaced, the guy i bought it from said the only problem he had was after replacing the impeller was the impeller shaft seal would leak.

Am i reading into this to much? could it be just as simple as a thermostat being stuck open?

Sorry for the long post i thought i might as well get it all out
Tom

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4.3GL Volvo Penta runs cool

Is it just the ruff idle that makes you think it is running cold? What does the temp gauge show?? Sounds more like a simple carb rebuild.....

Shotgunn

Cadet

the engine is cool especially at an idle, i will do the carb rebuild, just cant figure why it stays so cool, got to be a stuck open thermostat, i have downloaded the service manual, gonna check it out now.

The temp gauge never moves, less than 100

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

most marine thermostats open at/between 130-150 ish (highest i've seen) i would check to make sure your gauge is working by grounding the sender with the wire attached, quickly and see if the gauge goes all the way hot. ruff idle could be like stated above carb outta tune ,timing or bad fuel, plugs worn etc thermostats are cheap i would just replaced it for peace of mind. then inspect everything else for wear/ damage/ gunk

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can also test the thermostat. Do you know how to do that?? You can test it on the stove at home.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

I'd replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter. Check compression and base timing as well as the advance and spray a can of carb cleaner through the carb ( I never condemed a carb before I sprayed it when I used to work on vehicles. Also spray around the carb and manifold while you're at it to detect any vacuum leaks at idle). Then adjust the idle mixtures ( use a tach and vacuum gage) and speed.
As for the thermostat, I'd replace it considering its age. As for the oil pressure, put on a mechanical gage temporarily to get an acurate reading and go from there.

Shotgunn

Cadet

Thermostat is fine!
Cap an rotor were really badly corroded, so i got new plugs cap an rotor.
I read in the service manual that cap an rotor corrosion can lead to a heating problem is this right or do they mean cooling problem?

I did find a small piece of rubber jammed in the thermostat housing but not by thermostat, but in a small crevis by the drain plug way up in there. Its definitely a rubber gasket, but from where ? how does a chunk of gasket thats on the fresh water side stop the motor from warming up. if it was jammed in the thermostat then ya but it wasnt.

I'm hoping a hotter spark from the new plugs cap an rotor will warm things up

Should i worry about the high density rubber gasket chunk?

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was it part of an old impeller??

Shotgunn

Cadet

Yes it is an old piece of the impeller, and where it was lodged in the housing (bypass chamber),it would have put allot of pressure on the thermostat (pushing it open) there for staying cold. TADA. now i have to keep an eye for more problems, as i have no idea how many more pieces could be in there.

Shotgunn

Cadet

The engine still runs ruff at an idle, i still have not pulled the carb to spray carb cleaner in it. Do i have to remove it to do it properly or can i spray it still on the motor, while running or not? I would think if it was still on the motor and i sprayed it down all the gunk would go into the motor?

blrnar

Seaman Apprentice

Did you ever solve your rough idle issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.