Refueling = rainbow water?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On my bayliner I notice when I fill it either with a funnel or gas pump, the vent pukes out water and fuel spatter. Its vent hose goes from the in floor tank up to the transom wall. It has an upwards loop in it the stops water from getting in the tank, however, the water does lay in the outer portion but never makes it thru the loop.

Problem is, it makes the water look like a rainbow. Some people say "lookout" you will get a fine, others say most boats puke a tiny bit out during refueling. Should I be concerned?

On edit:
Is it illegal for me to refuel out of a approved gas can at the dock, using a funnel? I use a blanket to keep the splashes (very minimal) out of the water, then I hang it up on my dock pole to air dry.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Refueling = rainbow water?

On edit:
Is it illegal for me to refuel out of a approved gas can at the dock, using a funnel? I use a blanket to keep the splashes (very minimal) out of the water, then I hang it up on my dock pole to air dry.

No, it is not illegal to use that can, but yes, it is 100% illegal anywhere in the US to end up with fuel in the water while fueling. Whether or not you will get caught is a local issue, but it certainly isn't the neighborly thing to do no matter what.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As noted above it's illegal and you will get fined if caught.

Around here (Chesapeake Bay) they are very strict with fuel spillage. It's not unusual to see Naturaul Resources Police hanging around the fuel docks on a busy afternoon looking for just such an infraction.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Something funny about your vent hose. There shouldn't be any standing water in it. The top of that upward loop should be higher than the vent fitting, so that any water that somehow made its way into the vent, will drain right out again. A vent line that's plugged with water or anything else, isn't venting anything.

And, how is water getting into the vent in the first place?

I'm on my second boat and neither had the issue you describe. :confused:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with JoLin, I think the loop[ is lower than the vent itself, so water is getting trapped in the loop and not letting air through. Remount the loop higher than the vent itself

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Because its a bayliner...............need I say more?

The vent hose loop does go higher than the fitting, which is why water can only enter a tiny bit at the end. When you fuel it will push this water (and fuel vapor mix) out into the water. It is located low on the transom, so when you pull off the throttle fast, a wall of water washes the swim platform. That is my guess how water gets in.

Bayliner Customer Service

Seaman Apprentice

The hose coming from the vent fitting must go upward slightly from the vent fitting and include the loop; otherwise, fluid can get trapped in the loop. In addition, remember the fuller the tank becomes the amount of air inside the tank becomes less and less. With this in mind, you need to fuel the tank slower so it can vent otherwise you will get the fuel push back or burp you are seeing.

Bayliner Customer Service

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, I filled up at the marina and found that when I filled it slow, nothing came out until I reached 13 gal. In between 13 to 15 gal it then started to blow fuel vapor. I just held a small pail up to the vent.

So what do you do with the waste water / fuel you catch in the bucket?

That davis bottle is a great idea, although I have no room to suction cup it on. The setup is too cramped around the swam ladder.