30 Mariner 30E 689- electrical problem??

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Bought this Yamaha/Mariner 30E 689- the former owner bought it from the original owner who kept it mantained well, but the second owner did not, and let it set for several years before I rescued it and I am trying to bring it back to life and have done everything by the book but have ran into this problem.

First thing I did when I brought it home was remove the carb and cleaned it, it was pretty bad. Then I replaced the fuel pump, lines, tank, water pump, t-stat, plugs and gear oil. Put the muffs on it and it started right up and idled fine. Put it in the water idled around a bit then put the throttle down and it acted like it wanted to go but then just bogged down. Tried again and after struggling for a few seconds it took off like it was suppose to, throttled down tried again and just bogged down.

So then I rebuilt the carb after cleaning again just to be sure, and same problem. Now after eliminating what I believe to be all the potential fuel problems im thinking it's electrical.

Plan on testing it in the next couple of days but, if this is an electrical problem which is more likely.....switch box, coil or stator? Has anyone ever ran into this particular problem before and what was the out come?

it idles perfect w/ muffs as well as in the water just boggs at WOT.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 30 Mariner 30E 689- electrical problem??

Wow, can't believe nobody wanted to take a stab at it, but anyway found it to be the switch box, replaced and runs like it should.

Deep V

Cadet
Re: 30 Mariner 30E 689- electrical problem??

I currently have the same project going but mine is a 40BE 676. I did all the same things with minimal improvement. Mine does not have a swithbox or a stator; it has a maneto. The wires were badly weathered, so I rewired the whole thing; that did it. I'm still having occassional problems with eccelorating. I've found that I'm getting water in my cylinders, so I'm going to replace the exhaust plate and exhaust cover gaskets. I'm too deep into it to stop now. Naterally, with our simulaities, I'm interested in hearing how this turns out for you. Keep me posted.Rick