Boat will not run Straight !!..ARGGGHHH!!

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
16.5' Sunbird bowrider/ 88hp Johnson..

I replaced the trim tab because it was completely Missing. Though it didn't help this problem, I can adjust the tab to a point where the boat will "Pull" Right or left. But my problem is going straight.

Boat turns slightly left, I correct slightly right. Now boat goes right and I correct left, Boat goes left, I correct right...Cuss and Repeat, Cuss and repeat.............

Now this is at Lower speeds and Not On Plane ! It does much better on plane, Though still there it's less problematic..

I have checked for things like Slop in the motors steering, By trying to move the motor back and forth by hand. It has very little play...The Steering cable is stiff making the constant steering a un-invited Workout !

Could this be a Prop Problem ?? The Prop is a 13-1/4 X 17...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat will not run Straight !!..ARGGGHHH!!

That's called bow steer. It'll hapen, not much you can do about it at low speeds. Some boats are worse than others. I had a Hydrasport that was pretty bad. I could drop one tab slightly and that seemed to help at slow speeds.

Once on plane you should be able to trim the motor up to help pull the bow up which should reduce the effect.

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK,, Thanks !!

At least I know it's not "Another" Thing that needs fixed....SHEEEW!

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, my 2004 Stingray used to do that real bad at idle speeds. I installed Smart Tabs and they cured about 90% of that problem :D . Much, much easier to drive through "no wake" zones now.