Force 40hp won't shut off.

jarau

Recruit
I own a 1997 40hp Force outboard on my pontoon. Last year every once in awhile when i turn the switch to off, it wouldn't shut down the motor. As i quickly moved key to off on off on after a few times it would shut motor off.
This year i replaced the ignition switch to solve the problem, so i thought. With new ignition switch wired my motor still wants to run in the off position.
My tether switch when pulled does not shut motor off either. Is there an easy fix to wire up a kill switch? Do i need to replace the tether to solve the problem? Any suggestions to this problem would be appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 40hp won't shut off.

That engine has the CDM modules and you have lost the ground to them.Check your wiring for crimp,partial disconnect or ground wire loose or vibrated off on engine as both CDMS failing is unlikely.

CDI Tech Support

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 40hp won't shut off.

Disconnect the stop wire (Black/Yellow) at both CDM modules. Connect a jumper wire to both stop wires (Black/Yellow) from the CDM modules and short it to engine ground. If this stops the engine, the stop circuit has a fault. Check the key switch, harness and shift switch (if equipped).

If this does not stop the engine, disconnect the stop wire (Black/Yellow) at the rev limiter (if equipped). If this stops the engine, replace the rev limiter.

If this does not stop the engine, replace both CDM modules.