Reinell VS Chaparral

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotwater?

Recruit
Hello all,

My wife and i are thinking either a reinell 220LSE or the chaparral 220SSI. I know the chaparral is a better quality boat but of course it seems like you are going to pay more.I know both boat companies have been around awhile but that is about it. Both boats are in the 2005-2006 range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.;)

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Reinell VS Chaparral

I wouldn't be so sure to state that you "know" Chaparral is better quality. I've heard good things from Reinell owners.
And as a former owner of a 97 Chap, and as the son of a man who has owned 3 other Chaps, I'll say that they are good solid boats, but they do some silly things. My boat had some obvious cosmetic trim piece flaws from the day it was new. And the engine cover/sunpad hinges were destined to fail. But on the other hand, the interior looked as good 10 years later as it did when it was new. And the hull was always solid. My father's experiences have been similiar, and we both used our boats A LOT! (800 + hours on my 97 in 10 summers, 800 + hours on his Sig 30 in 9 years).
Buy the boat that you like the most. And if you don't know how to service it yourself, make sure it has the engine/drive combo that is serviced locally.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I've seen and heard, I'd go with the Chaparral over the Reinell. But like you said, you'll end up paying more for the Chaparral for sure. I'm currently in the process of selling my 96 Reinell that I've used for 3-yrs now. It seems like a pretty solid boat, but has had some issues. I suppose you'll have issues with pretty much anything out there, but like I said, I've heard that Chaparral is one of the better boats out there.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a Chap and can't find anything to complain about quality wise except the fading headrests on the captains chairs (which was fixed 04 onward). (My boat is the same model from 2002 to 2008 with a few interior changes each year so Chap keeps their hulls in service for a long time.) Believe me I would tell you exactly what I felt if I had some issues. Every single component is like new. None of the issues related to gelcoat cracking or gauge failure/fogging or whatever that I see so often on Iboats relating to newer boats. To say it is built solid is an understatement. Sometimes I almost think they are too heavy. The dry weights on the website seem a lot heavier than the Reinells so whether you like a robustly built boat or not, the Chap feels and rides nice but is generally slower on top end. My take also it is hard to compare a mid 90's chap to a mid 2000's. The hulls are all different and so is the hardware. Really though at the end of the day get what you like. I'd give up a little quality for a more powerful, mpi engine. To top that off my family could care less about what they ride in so long as it isn't a pos and they have fun. We have a Bayliner too which is the antithesis of the Chap and can have just as much fun with a lot less flash.

cobberdogger

Cadet

Hi gotwater...we are currently considering almost the exact same comparison as you were about 18 months ago (Reinell 220LSE vs. Chap 220SSI). What was your decision and how has it worked out?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Year old thread and the OP hasn't been here since he posted.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey cobberdogger. As Bruce noted. We'll let this die . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.