15hp Tohatsu stalling; when bulb squeezed it flattens

Hydrilla

Seaman
2000 15hp Tohatsu, carburated

This just started today- the wife and I got on plane and started to run down the lake, and the boat suddenly slowed down and stalled. I tried to start it and it didn't start right away, so I squeezed the primer bulb, and it felt like fuel went through it, but it squished flat and didn't go back to it's full shape right away. Within a few minutes, it would go back to it's normal shape, and I could squeeze it again, but it would stay flat, etc. I had to do this just to idle- if I tried to go faster, it used up the fuel it had and shut off.

The tank vent is definitely open, and after squeezing the ball, not every time but sometimes I hear a hissing sound from the tank side of things. The fuel line is definitely hooked up right, and the arrow on the bulb is facing toward the motor.

I know this type of question is asked all the time, but when I searched, most of the questions seem to be about the bulb just going flat, I assume on it's own. Does my problem sound like the same sort of thing- bad fuel line, bulb, clogged tank, or whatever? Some direction on what to check would be appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 15hp Tohatsu stalling; when bulb squeezed it flattens

You have a fuel restriction before the primer bulb. Could be a bad/incorrect fuel line fitting, stopped-up vent, clogged pickup tube strainer, or something similar.

Hydrilla

Seaman

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I eliminated the vent being the issue, first by removing the tank filler cap, and then removing the fitting from the tank and putting it in a brand new tank that I had but never used.

So I guess it's safe to assume that it is either the bulb, fuel line or it's connectors, or the connector on the tank, is that correct? If so, is there any way to clean the fittings? I have canned air but I wonder if that would work with things like these fittings.

Hydrilla

Seaman

Problem resolved. I bought a fuel line and bulb with no fittings, took the fittings from my old fuel line and put them in the new one, and put hose clamps on for a tight fit. Right away I was able to squeeze the bulb until it was solid. I stayed with the new tank since the old one wasn't in great shape (although it definitely wasn't the problem). Ran the motor with a hose and ear muffs hooked up, and everything is good to go! Thanks for the help.