Ignition ON/START alarm question.....

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only my second season as a boater, so this is probably a newb question.

Everytime I turn the key to the ON position, then turn the key to start the motor, there is this loud annoying high pitched alarm that sounds, then it goes away after the motor starts. Can someone tell me what this is, and if it is normal?

Thx.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Ignition ON/START alarm question.....

that is USUALLY just a self test of the alarm system, to let you know the beeper works. If it comes on while the engine is on, big problem, shut down immediately.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that is USUALLY just a self test of the alarm system, to let you know the bepper works. If it comes on while the engine is on, big problem, shut down immediately.

+1. What he said.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh ok. Good. What exactly is the alarm system for?

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Usually low gear lube if you have an I/O. or low oil, or you are overheating.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh ok. Good. What exactly is the alarm system for?

Most alarms alert you to (1) engine overheating /temp issues (2) oil pressure problems. I am NO expert tho!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It warns you of temperature or oil related issues in hopes of preventing catastrophic engine failure due to same.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Usually low gear lube if you have an I/O. or low oil, or you are overheating.

could also be oil or water pressure... All serious and not to be ignored like a check engine light in a car.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The alarm is armed when the key is on. When the key is on, but the engine is not running, there is no oil pressure . . . So ultimately it serves as a test of the low oil pressure portion of the system. I use it as a reminder to reconfirm I have no swimmers ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It means something is not right AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. Not tomorrow, next week or next month. Continuing to operate the boat will severely take weight out of your wallet. You also have gauges. Those instruments also provide the initial indication that something is not right. If you don't know what they mean educate yourself. Don't look at the oil pressure gauge and head out if oil pressure is not normal. Don't leave the dock if engine temperature is hotter than normal. Find out why and fix it. Yes -- it will spoil your day but so will a couple grand for a new engine.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It means something is not right AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. Not tomorrow, next week or next month. Continuing to operate the boat will severely take weight out of your wallet. You also have gauges. Those instruments also provide the initial indication that something is not right. If you don't know what they mean educate yourself. Don't look at the oil pressure gauge and head out if oil pressure is not normal. Don't leave the dock if engine temperature is hotter than normal. Find out why and fix it. Yes -- it will spoil your day but so will a couple grand for a new engine.

You mean if the alarm goes off while the engine is running, correct? You agree with the others that it is a self test when the ignition is on, but the engine not running, or are you saying that something is wrong?

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You only have something wrong if it comes on while the engine is running. On my boat it monitors oil pressure, drive lube in the reservoir and engine temp. Any of the 3 sensors can activate it but you have to figure out which one of the 3 yourself. When you turn the key to start and the engine is not running it'll sound. What you are experiencing is normal. Be glad you have it.

karatejoe

Seaman

it also serves to let your neighbors know you killed your boat engine while backing out of the dock again, like a newby who shifts to slow for the shift intereupter .
wawawawawawchug errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr yeah Joe is backing out of his dock again.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty sure it's normal, I know it is for my Volvo. There are a lot of boats out there, (like mine), that have that sound. It's a system test alarm, if it doesn't go off when the engine starts to run is when you worry. Otherwise it's perfectly normal. It's doing a test and it's not supposed to go off until the engine is running and the oil pressue is up to par, (per my manual). Don't worry about it.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Heard mine for the first time this past weekend... Annoyingly loud, and glad they both worked.