1992 Johnson 60hp pro series outboard dies over 2500 RPM's

vwfirehouse

Cadet
My 1992 Johnson 60hp pro series 2 stroke outboard sputters then dies over 2500 RPM's. On the trip up river yesterday ran great didn't skip a bit. Then got in to head home started out fine. Got up to about 2600 RPM's started sputtering then died. Started back up eased on the throttle once I got over 2500 RPM's, again starting sputtering, so I backed off before it died and just cruised in slowly. The carbs were rebuilt last season. Gas tank drained and refilled before this season. What could be possible problems?

papaterk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 Johnson 60hp pro series outboard dies over 2500 RPM's

I just got done doing my carbs for the third time, same motor, same year, same issue. I finally found a small speck of trash in the high speed jet area.
On the first two tries I ran wire thru them and they were clear, but eveidently this was "floating" around in there and would plug it up intermittently.
It pays to be very careful, and I flushed fuel lines after installing new fuel and a filter, BEFORE hooking them back up to the carbs. Runs like a dream!
It amazed me that this would do it but it did. I have been working on cars and diesel truck engines for years and thought I had seen it all. Apparently not. At least I am still learning.

Good Luk!

Pop

vwfirehouse

Cadet
Re: 1992 Johnson 60hp pro series outboard dies over 2500 RPM's

Thanks for the info. I will clean everything good. I am going to replace fuel line and primer bulb. Is the primer bulb supposed to be hard on not able to squeeze just after you shut off the motor, if not what would make it be? It is normally soft when I prime it before initial start. Also what is the best starting procedure. How many times should the key be pressed before starting and such? Are there any diagrams for these carbs online? Thanks for the info.