New Gimbal ring Mercruiser 4.3 now have vibration

H180

Cadet
I have a brand new (2 hours on the boat) Four Winns H180 with the Mercruiser 4.3. I hit a dead head at the end of last season and broke the gimbal ring. My Four Winns dealer did the repair work and replaced the gimbal ring. I put the boat in the water yesterday and it just doesn't "feel" right. Seems to run a bit rough. The motor seems fine, just a bit rough, more vibration then I remember. Quite a bit of roughness/vibration when in neutral and appying a bit of rpm. I know that the dealer had to pull the motor to replace the gimbal ring. Could this be the source of the problem? Any comments would be appreciated.

H180

Cadet
Re: New Gimbal ring Mercruiser 4.3 now have vibration

Thanks for the feedback. It seems a bit rough when applying a bit of throtle when in neutral, so I was thinking the issue may be simply related to motor having to come out...motor mounts or something along those lines?

H180

Cadet

I meant they pulled the motor to replace the Gimbal ring. It's hard to describe...just doesn't "feel" right...a bit too much vibration/lack of smoothness...like it's a 3.0L 4 cyl. I traded-in a '02 with a 3.0L and the first thing I noticed with the 4.3L (other than the power) was how much "smoother' is was...just doesn't feel like that now after the service.

H180

Cadet

Is it possible that the motor was not aligned properly when it was dropped back in? They motor feels a bit rough when given some rpms, even in neutral.

Bondo

Staff member

Is it possible that the motor was not aligned properly when it was dropped back in?

Ayuh,... As noted by Bubba, it Wasn't pulled for a gimbel ring replacement...
They motor feels a bit rough when given some rpms, even in neutral.

Is it Skipping,+ needing a Tune Up,+ Service,..??

H180

Cadet

Ayuh,... As noted by Bubba, it Wasn't pulled for a gimbel ring replacement...

Is it Skipping,+ needing a Tune Up,+ Service,..??

The boat is brand new and ran fine before the Gimbal Ring was replaced.

myredchevys

Cadet

If everything was replaced(Gimble bearing-u-joints etc.) correctly could it be your alignment may be out slightly-maybe Don will chime in on this one.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

There are only two ways that I know of to replace the gimbal ring, drill holes in the gimbal housing or pull the engine. I suspect they pulled the engine rather than drill holes in a brand new gimbal housing. I also suspect that an impact hard enough to destroy a gimbal ring bent some other stuff too. If it doesn't feel right keep working with your dealer to fix it. Good luck.

H180

Cadet

Thank you. Yup...they pulled the motor...didn't want drill holes in the housing...brand new boat. The impact wasn't too bad...very small ding on the outdrive about halfway up, but enough to crack the Gimbal Ring on one side.

There are only two ways that I know of to replace the gimbal ring, drill holes in the gimbal housing or pull the engine. I suspect they pulled the engine rather than drill holes in a brand new gimbal housing. I also suspect that an impact hard enough to destroy a gimbal ring bent some other stuff too. If it doesn't feel right keep working with your dealer to fix it. Good luck.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the prop ?
This customer reported a vibration also
ropemussels.jpg

Holy Smokes! They were trying to use the drive as a anchor windlass :D

H180

Cadet

I checked the prop...no dings of any kind...still brand new condition