Stubborn black streaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On the hull of my boat I have some black streaks that the rollers on my trailer left. Black streak remover has taken care of some of them but not all. Will wet sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper help remove them or will that make them worse. I plan to shine hull and top side in the next week. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. Tim

alexdunbar

Recruit
Alex

Alex

On the hull of my boat I have some black streaks that the rollers on my trailer left. Black streak remover has taken care of some of them but not all. Will wet sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper help remove them or will that make them worse. I plan to shine hull and top side in the next week. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. Tim

Hi,

I got rid of those with a bit of acetone on a piece of fabric; contact to gelcoat MUST NOT EXCEED 10 seconds. Rince, let dry and repeat.
Enjoy your boat.
Alex

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Alex

Try everything else before you sand, start with the least abrasive and move up and 1000 sounds really fine but isn't for a finish coat, you want 2000 if you end up sanding but try the magic eraser first and change your rollers so don't have to this again.

The problem is sanding causes scratches so it looks nice an clean but the scratches will attract and hold dirt making it harder to get clean next time and if you keep sanding it, even with 2000, eventually you are going to go throught the gel coat.

Look inot these non marring rollers http://www.iboats.com/SeaSense-Poly...9479659--**********.653216126--view_id.343880

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

When you've fixed the staining, replace the black rollers with the yellow neoprene ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.