wont start

peter paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i tryed everything to start my boat here is the info. it a183 mercruiser 470 4cylinder motor. ok i checked for spark, i got a new fuel pump new starter for good cranking.it seems like it getting to much gas flooding the motor but at this point anything is possible. o by the way the motor started when i put in the new fuel pump was running for about half hour idleing so i just accelerated the throttle it dyed and wont starte now. im lost from hear.

peter paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: wont start

ok how does the interupt switch works. when i have the shifter in neutral it cranks crank but wont start, i move the shifter and i dont get cranking , is that how the switch works cause that what im getting but i dont understand i had the motor running idling for about 20min as soon i shifted to accelerate it bogg and dyed i thought it got flooded i rebuild the carb and same problem im lost from hear now i need iboat member help

Saginaw Bay

Seaman

By no means whatsoever would I be considered a boat mechanic.

But, the shift Inturrupt switch basically is supposed to MOMENTARILY disrupt engine spark, causing a miss and loss of power to let your outdrive engage/disengage allowing you to shift without having to fight it.

I think what could also be in play here is what is called a neutral saftey switch.
This switch basically would noty allow you to roll over the engine in anything but neutral. It may be that your boat "thinks" it is in gear, or possibly a faulty switch.

if you have a multimeter you could check your switches to make sure they are changing state(meaning opening and closing).

Oh, I forgot the shift inturrupt switch basically grounds your coil out so it will not produce the spark needed to fire the engine.

I am sure someone here will chime in and offer thier suggusetins, this place is actually a wealth of knowlegeable people.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Are you depressing the button @ the fulcrum point of your shifter when you push the lever forward? this will disable the drive if you don't it won't start or crank if it's flooding I would look down the throat of the carb to see if fuel is drippng out of the jets if so the float is mostlikely sticking and you could of fouled your plugs.

peter paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no im not let me get it straight checking 12 volts with key on from the coil pos side i should have 8volt correct, any more area should i look at. i got spark o my plug but it not nice and blue it orange color. i got gas but it seems like it flooding out one time it spit gas out the carb. where is this switch at if you have a picture. like i said i had it running for about twenty min went to throttle up and it chuckle and died did not want to start i check everything but im misssing one i dont know what help

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a pic of the shift interrupt switch.

It's mounted to the shift plate. If the roller IS NOT centered in the valley the engine will not run (assuming it is working properly) If you are shifting and this switch is hanging up and killing the engine or staying out of the valley after stalling your lower shift cable is more than likely sticking and needs changed or it's really out of adjustment.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• shift_interrupt.jpg
    shift_interrupt.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0

peter paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes but in neutral engine cranks but if i shift no crank that the way it works so you saying it in the shifter where itself im sorry asking all this question but im a starter in this field thank for the help guys