Johnson Seahorse hard starting

Jellio

Cadet
Hi guys,,,looking for some advise....I've got a 1958 Johnson Seahorse 10HP went threw the motor and put new coils,points,condensors got the entire rebuild kit from Napa...anyway took the boat out for the second time this year and she's a hard starting sob...once I get it running she runs like a top I cruised around for an hour tonight at full throttle and also puttering along and the motor runs great shifted it out of forward into neutrul into reverse and back and forth no problems and she idle's ok but felt like it wanted to die but it was getting better the longer I ran it. I'm wondering if my starting procedure is not right. I pumped the little nob on the tank like 10 times maybe I need to pump it more. I was also thinking maybe going to a hotter plug like J8C's from the J6C's I have in there now might make it easier to start. Two quick questions can you flood it out if you prime it to much and will going to a hotter plug make a difference? Also is it ok to start it in the forward gear...tonight have pulling it over a bunch of times I put it in the forward gear gave it some more throttle and she started and away we went.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson Seahorse hard starting

Sounds like it runs fine , just hard to get the initial fire.
After choking it and finding it hard to start I would look at the plugs, if they're wet and smell of gas its flooding with excessive choke.
If they're dry you need to choke it more.
I have a 59 10hp and it starts on the 2nd pull.
Once you learn the quirks they fire right up.:)