Buying/Building a charging sysyem for my 1966 Evinrude 60hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everything is great with my boat now working a few minor things out...

Ok my motor has electric start and pull start it will pull start very easy!.

Well 90'% of the time i fish at night for catfish 8-10 hrs at a time i need to be able to run my lights plus im installing leds inside the boat on the floor.

I have dual depth finders Marine radio and a cd player...

Im just kinda worried about not haveing a charging system.. i can start the boat with zero power but im worried about running lights and spot lights all night and stuff.

Whats the best way to go about this . again its a 1966 Evinrude v4 60hp Magnito with manual shift.

Should i just buy a newer motor ? The motor i have now is low hours and runs like a TOP!:mad:

I was thinking of buying a 2hp gas lawn motor and rigin a chevy 1 wire alternator on the motor to charge my battery's ... i would like to save as much room as i can but im open to options.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Buying/Building a charging sysyem for my 1966 Evinrude 60hp.

Ok my motor has electric start and pull start it will pull start very easy! The motor i have now is low hours and runs like a TOP!

I had a 1962 Johnson 75 with battery&distributor ignition plus an alternator. The stator was under the flywheel. You could probably change your motor over to that system but why not spend the money (maybe less) on a small, gas-powered generator. Your statements above would deter me from buying a replacement/newer motor or modifying a really good one like yours. Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One option is to install a generator kit made for the motor. It is sort of a complicated kit and probably expensive to find all the parts. It will put out 10 amps---but has to be running over 2000 RPM before it works.

I dunno, but I think the lawn mower engine would drive you batso after about 10 minutes. It sure would me.

There are some really neat gas driven generators on the market, small and quiet.

However, the best solution is probably just a second battery and charge them at home.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

+1 on the extra batteries. A deep cycle will run the lights fine all night. If you run a generator, get the quietest (e.g. Honda) one you can afford. A noisy, vibrating generator in a boat is a nightmare

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my 66 80hp johnson electramatic has a 20 amp system under the flywheel with the option for a alt/gen add on,im not really sure what size your under fly system would be, but check out the old-omc site and the 66 johnson brouchers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Two different critters.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a steal on a 1996 Evinrude 48 spl 150 psi in all cyl's are the 48hp should be the same as my old 60 + shed a ton of weight.

I sill have the motor but im thinking of selling it .\

I just couldint pass a chance up on a 96 motor that will sip gas (2cyl 50hp) vrs my 1966 v4 points and non charging system and not power trim tilt and 60-80lbs more weight hehe!

roboticsguy1988

Recruit
I am sorry to renew such an old topic. I have the exact same model and year motor as the OP. I would also like a charging system. It seems to have the mount for the generator.

What I am curious about is how hard it would be to install a third party generator or alternator on this motor? If I get the proper belt and pulley to go on the shaft of the generator or alternator then do I just have to worry about making a proper mount for the aftermarket generator / alternator?

If anyone has seen this done can you please provide more information that would help? If it's not recommended then can someone point me to where I can find a generator to fit this engine? I have searched and I seem to find many replacement parts for inside the generator, but not the entire generator itself. I found one website that was kind of questionable and selling it for over $500, which I thought was a little steep, even if you say "it's an antique".

Status
Not open for further replies.