1959 Johnson V50 super seahorse V4S-11

rhayes2849

Cadet
Just got this motor a few weeks ago, I put new spark plugs and wires on it, but there is no spark. When I put the spark plugs and wires on it I checked the distributor cap and rotor they were clean and looked fine.

1. I was told it could be the neutral switch or safety switch. ( where is it can I test it?)

2. I was told it could it could need points? (where are they?) can I test them?

The electronic choke works and all other electronics seem to work.

Will a parts manual show all these items and can I get parts for this motor?

Thanks

I love the water!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Johnson V50 super seahorse V4S-11

You are confusing the issue with mention of a bunch of stuff that is unrelated to the spark.

Breaker points certainly are the first thing to check. They are under the belt pulley. Make sure you understand the belt timing before you go messing with it, or you will be back asking how to time it.

You really need a service manual. The Seloc manual sold here at iboats will be plenty adequate for you, since you seem to have very little knowledge of the motor and how it works. That is not meant as a bash, just being practical. The factory manual is written for the dealer's service shop and assumes the people working there have a basic konwledge of outboard service. If they don't, they shouldn't be there.

Part number 18-5157 breaker points are available right here at iboats.

I agree, a parts book would be a huge help, not only for the exploded views, but as an aid for finding parts. They are available from www.outboardbooks.com

rhayes2849

Cadet
Re: 1959 Johnson V50 super seahorse V4S-11

Thanks for the help I will order the service manual. Still not sure which one to get. 1306, 377810, 377707, 377708. Please help.

Thanks

I love the water!