Completely Dead Battery and what to expect later

Hello.

I'm up in Canada, and we winterized our boat last October until now.

I made the mistake of not disconnecting or recharging over the past 7 months. The battery was too weak to even cause the volt meter to move when I tried to start it on the driveway.

The battery appears to be taking a charge now, but I'm wondering if anyone could let me know what to expect from this battery in the future, or should I just replace it now and avoid some headache later?

All comments are welcome!

Thanks.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Completely Dead Battery and what to expect later

DITTO - start looking for a new one.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Done. Dead. Fall off your wallet. Buy a new one. Don't do it again.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

buy a new one. if this old one keeps a charge, keep it for a spare battery on the boat. and, buy a $10 battery tender, it will save the new battery in the future! :D

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

May recharge, but it's capacity will be much lower then it would be when new. Thus, you will likely only get a few tries at starting before it would go flat again. So if you are having trouble restarting on the water, you will only get a few chances to get the engine running again.

In other words, like the others said, replace it.

Ian

PDubs

Seaman

^ What everyone else said ^

I dealt with this crap when we first took delivery of our boat, same situation. First battery was replaced but then the second "bad" battery vampired anything good out of the brand new one. We ended up replacing both of them, not worth the headache.