Bad day for this first time boat owner...

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
I have this project boat, 28' luhrs flybridge w/chrysler 360 5.9l inboard. I have been working on it for over a year, and finally came time to get the motor running to get it in the water by june 1st. The motor came with the boat, said it should run and it does sort of. I had the carb rebuilt and just installed it today. I gave it a fresh oil change before the big first start. I ran it for about ten seconds, killed it, and checked the dipstick. Milky white engine oil!! :mad: Called a mechanic friend and he says it's either a leaking timing cover, bad head, head gasket or block. Now he's gonna rebuild for me, just wanted to know from you guys what I should rebuild it with. I wanna make it safe for salt and fresh cause the boat in the hudson river is fresh, but down near NYC it's salt. What freeze out plug, gaskets and other things should I get to make this thing ready??
Thanks

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: Bad day for this first time boat owner...

Need to know if it's a closed cooling system or raw water? Does it have a heat exchanger? Your mechanic should know this and how it needs to be rebuilt.

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

raw water, and no heat exchanger. He's an auto repair mechanic, but has done it all. He told me to order the parts I wanted. He's not rebuilding this as an official job, but as a friend doing me a favor.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

brass core plugs, marine water pump and SS or composite head gaskets.

Don't let him use an automotive fuel pump either, they cause big booms....

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is this a single engine? Sounds way under powered. Need more facts.

It may be cheaper in the long run to switch to SBC(GM) engines. They're so numerous that they are the cheapest to rebuild

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Before you rebuild find out why it turns colors.It might be a $1.00 gasket instead of a $1000 rebuild.
You could rebuild and still have the same problem.J

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

It's a single engine, in a 28' cabin boat. The boat from the factory came with a 340, 240 HP, and it was repowered with a 360, 260 HP. I pulled the head off on one side and there was a crack in the block along the outside cylinder wall. Now i'm trying to find a block or short block thats not $800+ dollars. What would it take to switch over to a gm motor. I have a paragon v drive in there now, would that still work with a gm? Thats the real question, would a v drive trans hooked up to a mopar motor connect to a gm motor?