Idiots at the launch!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I apologize in advance for the rant and for creating another launch thread. But, the admiral ( has listened to me all afteroon!) has had enough and I need to vent! I think there should be a "launch cop" at every ramp. I also think that in addition to a mandatory boat safety class, all new boaters with IQs of less than 75 should have to take a launch class! I have no problem waiting on people that are trying to do things right and have no problems waiting on people who experience an unexpected glitch or make an honest mistake (been there, done that!).

But today while retrieving we circled the launch - 2 docks / 4 ramps - for 45 minutes waiting for some morons. 2 different boats tried to power off the trailers but found out their batteries were dead. What did they do you ask? They floated off the trailers and tied off. WTF. If you know you have a dead battery, keep the friggin boat on the trailer and pull up the ramp for God sake. Those 2 boats blocked 2 ramps. Another ramp was blocked by a pontoon that launched, tied off to the dock and THEN proceeded to load toys, equipment, bait their hooks and THEN start eating lunch. So now we have 3 ramps blocked by idiots. There were 15 boats waiting to launch and 6 boats circling waiting to retrieve. At least I had company....15 guys yelling at the dead battery guys and leisurely dining toon from the hard and me and 5 others yelling at them from the water. Sorry again for the rant but I do feel better now!! Thanks.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Idiots at the launch!

Its truly amazing how brain dead people can be when they get to the boat ramp :rolleyes: . I'm quick and efficient with my launch and retrieval. I do my thing and get out of the way asap trying to be courteous to the next guy.

Poor boat ramp etiquette is a huge pet peeve of mine!

Summer Fun

Banned

I don't miss those days dealing with retarts :mad:. I love having my boat in a slip I back out and go. :).

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had one of those WTF moments today. The family and I had been out for a fun day on the lake. It was getting about time to head for home so I docked and went for the truck. Just as I am about to back out of my parking spot this guy pulls up to the ramp. I'm thinking , ok go ahead. I'm sure he can get in quicker than I can get out. (Still learning to trailer my new boat) Just as he starts to back up I notice he still has his transom saver and straps on. That P-ed me off. So after waiting for him get unhooked and unloaded. The idiot forgot to put his plug in. Goes to show you. Smart boaters get everything ready before getting in the hole.

ziggy

Admiral

ya just gotta roll with it, hard as that may be sometimes. it happens. i got had by two no starts last year. blocking up the works. i finally went up and spoke to one cat and offered to help him move to the other side of the dock. he declined, but sure got the message. he moved it him self.
i've had a no start years ago myself. once i was sure i was had. which didn't take long. i retrieved it so others could be hip.
it just aint that hard....

the sandwich toon. now that would be trying my patients too i must admit. think i might have suggeststed something to them too. nice as i could be though.. hostility just don't help.. ;)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I think when these moments arise we should remember that these people think driving and loading and unloading thier boats is like pulling thier cars in and out of the garage even if they don't have one.

sunrunner190

Cadet

I grew up on a lake 600' from the landing. You will never run out of idiots. When you go to the landing, prepare to spend some time in line. If you get upset, you have given them too much control over you. Relax and plan extra time for the people who seem to leave the common sense at home.

By the way, in Cold Spring, Mn. the weather is awesome.

Happy boating to everyone. It's going to be a great season.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

People like described in the OP would get screamed at and threatened around here. I honestly think that because I'm on the ocean people MUST be just more "with it."

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

People like described in the OP would get screamed at and threatened around here. I honestly think that because I'm on the ocean people MUST be just more "with it."

I think there are fewer salt water ( Big Pond) motards due to the Darwin theory. They weed themselves otta the gene pool never to be seen again.

Just for fun after backing the Zombie 2 back in to the slip wife & I went to one of the local ramps and only saw 2 folks retrieve boats.- 1st was a snap- the 2nd was different- there is no line no rush- the guy is loading an older bass boat- after the trl is in the water too shallow- unties and paddles away from the dock._ I tell wife " this is going to be good" he then fires up the out board and circles around making a sizable wake. he pulls up to the back of the trl and kills the motor and breaks out the paddle again .after a minute or two of trying to power load with a paddle. standing on the bow- gives his wife the back up sign- being the calm cool & collected gal she does not slam on gas in reverse , but slowly.:( after wards he tries paddling on again. no luck and fires up the out board slowly power loads on - leaving the motor running at 2500 rpms , hooks the bow eye and gives the wife the "pull out" motion. before she pulls out the guy runs back and turns off the outboard.

Note: 99% boats power load in Texas -if you back off the end of a concrete ramp , that your problem.
not the classic SHT but amusing none the less.

cr2k

Captain

We have so many morons at the ramp I use. I have taken to using my Four Wheel Drive and unloading on the beach when necessary.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ramp etiquette should be a required course for all.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boat ramps are the cheapest entertainment around. 4:00 to 6:00 on any summer weekend, set out the lawn chairs, bring a cooler, maybe some soft tunes, and just enjoy man's inhumanity to himself and others ... :eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

got the boat in the water for the first time this year... I NEED to buy a ramp pass on a private ramp asap!

so the redneck family gets the old 'trihaul' spun up. (no cowling on the motor, looks like the boat is half full of water judged by the waterline.) Anyway, patiently waiting to load (double ramp, someone tied up to the other side) The rednecks finally get it on the trailer, and then procede to drive forward about 15 feet, while aiming for the center of the pavement.

They managed to close off not just one, but BOTH ramps while they spent the next 10 minutes fiddling around in the boat!

URDADDY

Seaman

My first launch in maybe 15 years today with a boat i have never launched. We did well and had the boat unloaded in about 10 minutes. We did have to anchor near the ramp (about 50 ft. away) as I have a stern drive and cant beach plus no pier or anything on this ramp. We got in and had a great day playing on the lake. When we headed in the ramp was pretty deserted so no problem. Backed right in, a little deeper this time as we did have to push the boat off when we launched. Got the boat right on (no power) by the way. Locked her down good and pulled out. Maybe 5 minutes tops. Got to the top and pulled out of the way and started the routine, pull the plug, look the boat over, and begin to properly tie her down. During this time we got to watch two others retrieve their boats. Well I was afraid I would be rusty after so many years but Im now very confident. Watching them even try to back a trailer into the water, and then the way they had to basically drive the boat the last half up the trailer made me feel much better. Anyway was a fun day on the water, first this summer with many more to come.

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HI, there sounds like you had an interesting day. what can i say, we have the same idiots here in Australia, it must be a world wide thing, for the most, 99% are pretty good @ launching and retrieving their boats, it only takes one fool, and I'm no expert, infact I'm new to boating but i do all preping so it only takes me about 1 minute to be off and away.
Good luck for the rest of your summer, it's winter here almost, so our boat is carefully stowed away.

URDADDY

Seaman

Sorry but the 1 minute thing got me. I may not be the fastest but Im safe. In and out in 1 minute isnt safe, you are checking nothing..... But hey Im new here so maybe 1 minute is ok.

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi URDADDY, sorry you miss understood me, I do all my checking and safety checks in the car park so I'm out of peoples way,then all i need to do is have my wife or buddy back the boat trailer down the ramp and Ill reverse off and away from the ramp.
I will have already run the engine. 1 minute is a guess,

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat ramps are the cheapest entertainment around. 4:00 to 6:00 on any summer weekend, set out the lawn chairs, bring a cooler, maybe some soft tunes, and just enjoy man's inhumanity to himself and others ... :eek:

You`re absolutely right my friend, :p:p:p:p

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I've been out about 3 times on my boat now...and the boat launch is the scariest part for me right now. Not so much getting under way, but approaching the dock on the way in.

I'm doing alright though...we boat on a river that can have some serious current when the tide shifts, so the approach is a little harry.

But yesterday I managed to approach, have my buddy tie off, go to the tow vehicle, wrench on the trailer for a minute and still beat the guys pulling their boat out on the other side. ;)

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry but the 1 minute thing got me. I may not be the fastest but Im safe. In and out in 1 minute isnt safe, you are checking nothing..... But hey Im new here so maybe 1 minute is ok.

Like Bayliner said, do all of your checks before you are actually at the ramp itself. Our boat launching area has a huge parking lot that is excellent for loading the boat and doing last minute checks. After all of this is done, then I head to the actual ramp.

Oh, and I always start the engine of my boat and/or jet skis at the house before I leave for the water. I'd rather find out there that I've got a problem instead of at the ramp like most people :rolleyes: .