Greenish goo in carb

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
1996 Johnson 88
Ok, last week noticed an INCREASE in rpm to 6000 and a decrease in charging, only getting 12.4-12.9 volts.

Now this week, Motor runs good but only had 5500 max rpm.
Today in the mid range it felt like it was missing, thought it was fuel related because when I went over a wake or turned the rpm would surge sometimes. See the pic for what I fould in the upper carb, port side. Also all spark plugs except lower port side looke real good. Lower port side had a little grude on it but nothing on the electrode so I think all is good there. looks like a filter change and carbe cleaning is in order. May get in to checking the fuel pickup also.

Attachments

• 37ad62796c5d__1274545118000.jpg
    37ad62796c5d__1274545118000.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Greenish goo in carb

Took upper card apart to clean and I found one of the freeze plugs had fallen out and I guess it was just "floating" around the bowl. I guess that was the cause of the erratic running. Went ahead and cleaned carbs anyway and am going to get new 10 micro fuel filter when store opens. By the way, I unplugged fuel connector from engine and pumped some fuel into a clear glass container and it looked great with no sighs of water. May not need a filter but for 15 bucks I'll change it anyway just in case.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took upper card apart to clean and I found one of the freeze plugs had fallen out and I guess it was just "floating" around the bowl. I guess that was the cause of the erratic running. Went ahead and cleaned carbs anyway and am going to get new 10 micro fuel filter when store opens. By the way, I unplugged fuel connector from engine and pumped some fuel into a clear glass container and it looked great with no sighs of water. May not need a filter but for 15 bucks I'll change it anyway just in case.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Just my own opinion about the 'green goo'. I have had the same problem when using fuel that contains alcohol in my old collector engines that are seldom used. Even if you 'run the carb dry' there is still a small amount of fuel left in the bowl. Since I've never seen the 'green goo' in older engines that were fed only a diet of pure gasoline I was led to the conclusion that the problem was caused by the alcohol in the fuel. Since I got awfully tired of having to clean carbs before I could take out one of my veterans to play I found a source for 'real' gasoline. The 'green goo' seems to have departed with the gasahol.
Your mileage may vary.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tom
The "goo" was only in one carb and only saw it on one side. I have changed the filter and when I drained the old one into a container it was contaminated with water. The tank had water in it when I got the boat. I pumped tank and cleaned it but I guess some was left. I'll change this filter at first sign and hopefully that will be that. I use the boat at least once a week so I dont think running the carbs dry is needed.