Johnson '01 90HP DriveShaft Removal

Palssonater

Seaman
Well that is a very bad way to end a bad day. Hit myself a big rock and cracked the gearcase. I have a 2001 Johnson 90HP V4, model J90PLSIF.

Managed to get the lower end dropped and everything cleaned up but need to get the gearcase sent to the welder for repairs.

HOWEVER, we can't seem to get the Driveshaft out of the lower end. I though it had to be in neutral, then pull the driveshaft, then pull the prop shaft. But this hasn't been working for me.

So, does anyone have any words of advice or procedures for getting everything out of the case?

Palssonater

Seaman
Re: Johnson '01 90HP DriveShaft Removal

Bump.

I have the lower unit off with the driveshaft and propshaft to come out. Anyone able to advise me on the next steps?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

easiest way is pull the propshaft bearing carrier. loosen the drive shaft bearing housing bolts,remove the pinion nut remove the driveshaft bearing housing bolts and remove the drive shaft, carefully record the shift shaft height in N and remove the shift shaft rod and cover then remove the propshaft and fwd gear assy.
be aware the lower drive shaft bearings will fall into the carrier bore when the driveshaft is removed. retrieve all of them,17 I think.
} DO NOT use a magnet to retrive the rollers.

Palssonater

Seaman

THANKS! I will get it down to the machine shop today and have my buddy give me a hand. Is there an easy way to get that propshaft bearing carrier out. Looks threaded, but seems to tighten up as we turn it. I will have to look at the threads closer too.

I am interested in why you said NOT to use a magnet on the rollers?

ONce again, thanks!

Palssonater

Seaman

Right. Rollers=Needle Bearings. Never magnetize a bearing. This I remember now.

Just having a hard time getting the floating pinion gear out of there now. Any suggestions?

Palssonater

Seaman

Well I figured I would make a final post on this thread incase someone using a search function comes accross in a similar situation as me.

The drive shaft has a nut that hold the pinion gear onto it. That must be removed in order to remove the drive shaft.

Pulling the propshaft bearing carrier(we had to make a puller with bolts and flatbar), allowed me access to one gear which fell out with gravity. This then displays the pinion gear, clutch assembly and the other gear. Using a 7/8 open wrench we just held the nut while the other guy turned the driveshaft to loosen it off. From there the drive shaft pulled freely out.

Getting the pinion gear was tricky as we may have pulled the clutch forward on the splines. After we pushed everything back it came out above the prop shaft.

Then everything else just pulled out. I will post some pictures of the carnage later. If I think of it. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Now the case if off to the welder Tuesday. Hoping for a fast turnaround and slap everthing back together before the weekend.

Palssonater

Seaman

A pic of the carnage. Pretty sure that's the wrong color for gear oil. I'm sure it'll buff right out... ha ha.

IMGP1500small.JPG