98 evinrude 110 starter? charging?

mack6820

Recruit
Hey guys,
My battery went dead today and I dont think it is either holding a charge or recieving a charge from the motor. Right now I have a battery charger hooked up to it and the starter shaft spins but will not come up high enough to engage the flywheel.
So could my battery not be charged enough? Am I looking at a potential starter failure? Its reading 11.2 volts at my fish finder.
Thanks in advance.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 98 evinrude 110 starter? charging?

Either use an automatic multi-stage charger with an output current appropriate to the size of your battery until it indicates that the battery is fully charged or use a similarly rated manual one until you have got the volts up to around 14.4 and held them there for a couple of hours.

Then let the battery stand with no load and no further charging and check the volts with a digital voltmeter after 12 hours. You should get at least 12.7 if the battery has in fact charged properly.

A voltage reading of 11.2 with no load indicates a discharged or dead battery. In reality anything below about 11.7 with no load is effectively totally discharged or dead.

With a good battery and a working charging system you should see the volts rise to 14 or a little more once the engine is running. With an unregulated rectifier the volts will rise even higher.
I don't see a 110 hp listed for 1998 so cannot check if you have a regulated or non regulated charging system.
Whichever, if you do not see the volts rise once the engine is running it is not charging the battery.

Ensure your battery is fully recharged after use. If you leave it even partly discharged you will shorten its life. Also do not regularly discharge it below 50%. Only deep cycle traction batteries can withstand being regularly discharged to that sort of level

mack6820

Recruit
Re: 98 evinrude 110 starter? charging?

I put the battery from my truck in and it started right up. It was reading 12.7. I then revved it up to 3000 rpm and the voltage went up to 13.3. So I took the battery back to wal-mart and they verified it was bad. I just got that battery 2 weeks ago but I must have let it run too low. Its goon now I hope.
Thanks!