shifting problem in 1967 55HP Chrysler..

jsonnebe

Cadet
I took my brand used Charger 118 out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. All went well, except....

I have no reverse. My 1967 55 HP seems to be in forward at all times. When I push the throttle forward I get forward real fast. With the throttle straight up I get forward real slow (kinda nice for trolling, but...). When I push the throttle back I get forward kinda fast.

I replaced the impeller and I am thinking I didn't get the lower and intermediate gearshift rods put back together correctly.

Is this a case of just adjusting the lower gearshift rod coupling? If so, what is the best way to make the adjustment?

Any help is much appreciated!

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: shifting problem in 1967 55HP Chrysler..

A few questions and tips maybe before the pros come.

1. Have you disconnected and shifted manually with your hand and found the gears by pulling up or pushing down??

2. If you found them, the problem is probably in your adjustment.

3. I would suggest putting your shift control in forward, neutral or reverse and likewise at the lower shift rod and mark the relationships of the rods.

4. Your goal now is to reconnect the rods keeping the same marked relationship. I Hope This Helps!

5. Personally I disconnect at the cotter pin in the leg and never lose my adjustment, which you may not have as my 1971, 35 HP Chrysler.

JOW

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 3.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It SOUNDS like you have the linkage biased too far forward. Since forward is down and there is a lot of compliance in that particular linkage it is not difficult to do.

Put the control lever in reverse. This will raise the upper shift rod. Now disconnect the hex coupler and push the lower rod all the way down. Now, rethread the hex coupler, being certain that bothe ends, which are opposite threads, engage the two rods equally. NOW put the control lever in neutral and screw in the hex until the lower unit comes out of gear and into neutral. Then go just a half turn more. the linkage and lower unit should now be close to correct .

wickware

Lieutenant

Frank and other Chrysler Pros, is disconnecting the shift rod at the cotter pen not practical or is not an option with most Chrysler motors? I understand your method and possibly used that method or a marked method until I saw I could get to the cotter pen. Thanks for the info in advance.

JOW

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is certainly an option, but not all Chrysler engines had the cotter pin like yours. The 1967 55 hp was one where the lower shift rod screwed into the lower unit and then connected to the hex coupler. On this engine, the correct setting was to screw in the lower rod all the way and leave it at the proper angle (relative to the drive shaft) to meet the coupler.

When you compare the 35, you must realize that Chrysler made two versions: a 35 in the 35, 45, 50, 55 series and a 35 in the 20, 25, and 35 series. The blocks, lower units, and midlegs are completely different in the two series--in fact, almost everything is different..

wickware

Lieutenant

Thanks again for the explanations that giving me a different view on the versions, and the correct pin vs pen. I taught small engine from 1968 ? __ which connects me with my 1970 or 71 magneto system when I got my 35 HP Chrysler in 85. To Make a Long Story Short, ?How long have you worked with Chrysler motors??

JOW