Need help 40 evinrude

realtree1209

Cadet
1987 40 horse evinrude vro
just got motor and will run if i feed gas into carbs . Primer bulb gets hard but no gas is in the carb bowls i have traced it to the vro pump but gas not comming out to the carbs . What could be the problem ? Is the fuel pump ontop of the primer asembly ? I got this motor for a hundred bucks and really looks new

realtree1209

Cadet
Re: Need help 40 evinrude

ok i unhooked vro pump placed fuel line direct to carbs with 50 to 1 fuel and motor ran why cant i get it to run with vro hooked up fuel will not leave pump and fill carbs !

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Fuel pump may be bad. VRO pump typically can have fuel side rebuilt.

realtree1209

Cadet

is there a way to check it or i have read to just unhook vro and buy a fuel pump

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get rid of the VRO and install a new fuel pump and used mixed gas 50:1. I mounted my pump to the back of the air box with a homemade bracket.
works great

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sure, tee a pressure gauge into the gas outlet. Don't know the exact pressure, but I would expect to see ~ 4 to 6 psig. Alternately, first pull the safety lanyard so the motor cannot start. Then, disconnect the pump gas outlet line. Gas should come out in regular long spurts while cranking. Anything and the pump needs rebuilding or replacement.

realtree1209

Cadet

what steps do i take to remove vro 3 hoses on vro one is gas one is oil and not sure what the other is ?
and what fuel pump ?

Raptorman

Cadet

I removed my VRO, installed a fuel pump and am using 50-1 mix in my fuel
using premium fuel. Works great and no worries about the VRO not working
when I am out on the water.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

No reason to remove the VRO/OMS if the gas side is working. Just disable the oil side.

realtree1209

Cadet

gas side not working so what fuel pump do i need ? how does the pump work is it electrical ? thanks for all the help also can someone tell me what a lift pump is and how it works thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It works solely off crankcase pressure pulses. There are two potential choices:

Sierra 18-7352 only two hose nipples, in, out, pulse from the back.

Sierra 18-7353 has three hose nipples, one incoming fuel, one outgoing fuel and one for the hose for the pulse.

Really depends on mechanical arrangement as to which, but I think I would chose the second.

realtree1209

Cadet

i agree the second is better because the 40 horse has a impulse hose already for the vro correct ? you sure do know your outboards my friend . can you tell me if the 1987 40 evinrude was a good motor i plan to put some money in it ?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I'm sure it is a good one. There have been very few 'bad' OMC motors.

realtree1209

Cadet

ok maybe i can get this question answered if i pump the fuel line til its hard and gas fills the fuel pump in vro pump does it not fill carb bowls til motor cranks and pulse sends gas to carbs ? because my problem was vro fuel side was full of gas but nothing to carbs bowls were empty

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

To check fuel pump:
1) Make sure engine can't start, and even better pull safety lanyard if so equipped
2) Disconnect fuel outlet line from pump
3) Crank engine -- should get long spurts of fuel at regular intervals -- anything less and the pump is NG

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your on the right track....... I run an '85 Evinrude 40hp and its like a tank easy enough to work on too. Have fun its a labor of love.

T

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice

Normally if you keep pumping the primer bulb on the fuel hose it will force fuel into the carb bowls even if the pump doesn't work well. I have run across situations like this when someone has either replaced the fuel hoses or fuel pump and put the inlet and outlet hoses on backwards. If that is the case you can squeeze the bulb until your hand falls off and not one drop of fuel will get to the carbs. Just something to check out.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like the red lever in you primer solenoid might be in the wrong position. On the port side, as you look at it, it the red lever should at about two o'clock or "over the body" as some would say