rebuilt my carbs.wrench caused short. help me find it please?!

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys. the description says it all. i was rebuilding my carbs this evening an i forgot to turn the battery switch to off! the wrench was on a bolt and the handle hit a live wire and bzzzzzt bzzzt sparked. i turned the switch to off and finished the carb i was on. i wanted to tilt the motor up for the night and finish in the morning but the motor wont tilt now. probably wont start or choke either. i switched the battery switch from batt #1 to batt#2 and still nothing. the stereo still works so batteries are fine. do you guys have any advice where to look for a fuse or something? the battery has two wires(+, -) going straight to the motor and two other wires(+,-) going to accessory fuse panel under the dash. its a 1989 v135 black max. dont know where a main fuse might be on the engine. do you? Thanx a helluva lot guys! Erik

j_martin

Admiral
Re: rebuilt my carbs.wrench caused short. help me find it please?!

You know, if you could tell us the color of the live wire you hit, someone would probably look it up in their diagrams and tell you where the fuse is and what kind to buy before you even look.:D

hope it helps
John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Near the Pos battery cable on the starter relay there should be a smaller red wire that goes into the main engine harness.

There should be a fuse along that wire, pull it out and look at it.

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont you love going to a forum just to say later "maybe im an idiot"?! i think the wire i may have hit is the power supply to the solenoids for raising and lowering the tilt/trim. i disconnected a thick wire that feeds two round blocks that are bolted to the carb choke plate/cover. those blocks have wires coming from the tilt switch on controlls and two wires going down to the tilt motor(+ grounds).in simple terms----i disconnected the power to the tilt function to remove the choke plate. duh, why wont this thing tilt? so maybe its just fine once i put it back together. if its not; the wire i hit goes to some solenoid looking block just above and to the left of the wire panels that the stator wires all tie into. ill reply when im done if it works or not. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME GUYS!

j_martin

Admiral

dont you love going to a forum just to say later "maybe im an idiot"?! i think the wire i may have hit is the power supply to the solenoids for raising and lowering the tilt/trim. i disconnected a thick wire that feeds two round blocks that are bolted to the carb choke plate/cover. those blocks have wires coming from the tilt switch on controlls and two wires going down to the tilt motor(+ grounds).in simple terms----i disconnected the power to the tilt function to remove the choke plate. duh, why wont this thing tilt? so maybe its just fine once i put it back together. if its not; the wire i hit goes to some solenoid looking block just above and to the left of the wire panels that the stator wires all tie into. ill reply when im done if it works or not. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME GUYS!

That solenoid looking thingie is the rectifier. Shorting the red wire shouldn't do any damage except burn the red wire, and the power was being supplied by the battery cable, through the cable to the starter solenoid. The wire from the rectifier would not have supplied any power, but have effectively been disconnect by the rectifier function.

The trim solenoids have to be grounded to operate. If the mounting plate is hanging loose, they won't work, unless you supply the ground.

hope it helps
John