water in the sterndrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
ok million dollar question. Is it possible that by getting water in the sterndrive one time would ruin it enough to have the whole thing replaced?<br /><br />I replace the waterpump in my alpha I and forget to put the o-ring in that goes between lower and upper. Needless to say I got water in it. I ran it at lake for about an hour and the gears started grinding. took it home and figured out my stupid mistake.. fixed it,drained it then took it back out a couple of times. No problems that I could hear. about 2 weeks later was out at the lake and this loud vibration came from back of boat. I figured it was gimball bearing. Took it to mechanic and he says the whole sterndrive is shot. There was a little water still in it not bad though... <br />So once again is it possible the whole thing needs to be replaced or am I getting taken for a ride???<br /><br />Tallman

Bondo

Staff member
Re: water in the sterndrive

YES !!!!!

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure what the guys are saying yes to... whether the mechanic is correct or if you're being taken for a ride??<br /><br />It seems odd to me that your outdrive would be trashed that quickly from water damage. However, I wonder how much gear lube may have been lost due to the missing gear housing to drive housing o-ring. If water can enter there...gear lube must be able to escape as well.<br /><br />Walt

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

It pretty much was a milk shake and all foamy froth when I let the oil or what was left of it out.<br />Mind you after that happend and I put the O ring back it it seemed to run just fine the 3 times I took it out, although I did not go out for long about 2 hrs each time or there abouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.