3 way switch question

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
My outboard trim trim switch on my side control has broken. Instead of spending $40 bucks on a new switch can I use a mom on/off/mom on switch? This it the switch I have, but I'm not sure how to wire it. There are only three wires coming from the trim motor. One red, one blue, one green.

Any advice?

IMG_0772.jpg

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3 way switch question

Yeah, you can use it if you want...

Red to terminal 2, Blue to terminal 1, Green to terminal 3. Toggle switches work where the opposite terminal is energized regarding the way the switch is pressed. Press the top part, the bottom terminal is energized, and visa versa...

FBPirate95

Yeah, you can use it if you want...

Red to terminal 2, Blue to terminal 1, Green to terminal 3. Toggle switches work where the opposite terminal is energized regarding the way the switch is pressed. Press the top part, the bottom terminal is energized, and visa versa...

So nothing at all goes to 4,5,6?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The switch you show is the same as having two separate ON=OFF=ON switches in one housing. If you don't need the second side, it does not need to be wired. Keep in mind also that using this switch is a bit risky. Trim switches are MOMENTARY action meaning they return to OFF when released. If this switch is not that way, you risk motor damage by not turning the switch off.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Silvertip,
Even though it's a bit confusing, I think he got his point across...

mom on/off/mom on switch

Momentary on/off/on...
cheersemoticon.gif

FBPirate95

Thanks guys. And yes it is a momentary on - off - momentary on switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yup -- missed that little tidbit in his post. Sorry dudes.