Big decision on boat purchase

oldwakeman

Cadet
You all have great input and I am hoping someone could give me a little insight on my purchase. My kids have just taken up wake-boarding last year and I was looking at buying a used boat. Price range 10 to 15K. Many I/Os out there but came across a 2000 Sky Supreme V210 in price range asking 15K. My concern is there is little over 800 hrs on the boat. They say "always maintained trans, drive and engine oil change every 50 hrs. It is in great shape but the hours scare me. Should I consider this or keep looking with likely getting an open-bow I/O. Thanks in advance.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Big decision on boat purchase

Personally, if I were about to spend $15k on a boat, I'd want to find one that had fewer hours than that. That being said, it seems like the used wake/ski boats out there tend to have a lot more hours on them than other types of boats.

I've seen a lot of different opinions on how long an engine is supposed to last in terms of a comparison of hours to mileage on a car. Some would suggest that as long as it had been well-maintained, you could get quite a bit more use out of it (speaking of the one you're looking at). But at $15k, you could probably find a nice I/O bowrider that has less than 200 hrs. on it. It really just depends on what you want/need in a boat.

oldwakeman

Cadet

Thanks for the input.

There are many direct drive boats in this price range. Just not sure for primary wakeboarding, if I/O or direct drive would be best?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

800 hours on a 2000 boat wouldn't scare me one bit. Do a compression test on it and then you'll know the health. Dirty truth is that many boat owners pull the plugs on their hour meters after a certain point in an effort to keep the value up...so no guarantees there anyway.

Just as a point of reference, my 2003 Chevrolet Silverado came from the factory with an hour meter built into the digital odometer. Right now the odometer says 58,000 miles and the hour meter says just under 1,200 hours. So if you were to use that as a reference, your 800 hour boat is kinda like buying a 2000 model car with under 40,000 miles...

Granted, on a boat they are definitely much HARDER miles.

So based on the description you provided, I'd have to compare that 800 hour boat to buying a year 2000 truck with ONLY 40,000 miles, that has been used to tow nothing but 8,000 pound trailers for it's entire 10 year life, but with an oil and tranny fluid change completed every 2,500 miles. Maybe that will help you give that hour meter some perspective.

If it was maintained, that 800 hour boat is FAR from worn out. It's just broken in...

I/O will work well for wakeboarding. Direct drive (or V-drive...but probably out of your price range) will work better.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

If this is your first boat, do yourself a favor and buy a newer low hour I/O for under 10K.... see how much you use it and how you end up using it for a year or so... then buy what you need.

Inboards are worth more and hold their value better, but its meaningless if you don't use it for its intended purpose.

I/Os are cheaper, easier to buy and sell as they appeal to a larger market and they are a dime a dozen.