Kicker Engine on Starboard or Port

valjon

Recruit
My boyfriend is being told that there is a difference on which side the kicker engine needs to be installed onto. Starboard or Port in your opinion? :confused:

valjon

Recruit
Re: Kicker Engine on Starboard or Port

My boyfriend is being told that it DOES make a difference which side the kicker motor is installed on. Starboard or port? Is there a right and wrong side? He doesn't seem to think it matters. Any info?

rndn

Commander

I've seen them mopunted on both sides. Just make sure you put it on the opposite side you have your depth finder mounted or it will mess up the readings.
Welcome to the iboats.com boating forum.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Depth/fish finder transducer and/or speedometer pitot is usually mounted starboard if transom mounted, because the turbulence from the main prop is less on that side. Thus, the kicker usually goes on the other (port) side.

Also, if like on my boat, you gotta sit your *** on the stern to hand-till the kicker, it's easier to mount the kicker on the port side because the all-around light pole is usually on the starboard stern, and the control cables, steering cable, etc. to the OB are all on the starboard side.

As far as actually pushing the boat though, I don't see as it would matter.