tracking cell phone location

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Is there a way to track a cell phone with some kind of software that an average person can use? I know that it can be done the location is set to "on" in the phone settings but im not sure where to start. The phone that I am talking about has GPS and the location is set to on so that the GPS can work. Im just not sure where to start and if you try to google it yo u get a ton of sites that want to charge money for things like reverse number lookup and things like that. Thanks for any help!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: tracking cell phone location

Talk to your service provider. Many provide this capability as an add on application.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Abby and Tim do that all the time, though I don't know what software is required to do it.

eavega

Lieutenant

Sprint definitely provides it as an add-on service. Sprint will send a message to the phone which is being tracked letting it know that its being tracked.

-Eric

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

You mean do it covertly? No, it has to be done through the provider. You can't access their equipment.

Yes, thats what I mean. There has to be a way. I have seen on the news before about things like this. I know "Emergency E-911" can do it by triangulating the position. But there has to be some way to do it without their "equipment". You can Triangulate a gps position on a mobile device that is GPS enabled up to a couple of blocks in a city. Not as accurate as GPS which can get within a foot but a couple block radius is all Im looking for.

J. Howard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check out Google Latitude:

http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/

I have not used it but I have some friends who play around with it. This obviously requires that the user of the phone is aware of it and is voluntarily sharing this information. If you're trying to track down a lost phone, this probably isn't for you. If you want to activate it on your kids' phones to keep track of them, it might be worthwhile to take a look at.

Blarney413

Cadet

You may be able to buy a sim card that can do it. I think I read something about it in a skymall magazine. Maybe that was just to copy all the texts and calls I forget exactly. Not sure why you NEED to activate the GPS but if it is to check on "immoral" activity the sim card thing might work.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Explain the situation more in depth and tell us why you want to track a person without her knowledge. Then maybe I'll help ya depending on the situation.

j_martin

Admiral

I've been thinking the same thing, and here's the application. If I could locate a phone, I could buy a cheap phone, set it up to run off the engine battery, and hide it up under the deck somewhere. Then if my boat goes AWOL, I could locate it and tell the cops where to recover it.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, all of these definitive answers (have to laugh at the "no" answers) and nobody even bothered to ask what phone you are speaking of..

I have an Android phone and I can remotely, via website, track my phone down to which room of my house it's in, all without any indication on the phone itself. For free. The app is called "Lookout Mobile Security" and also provides antivirus scanning.

But the obvious question still remains, what phone are we talking about? Windows Mobile OS? Android OS? Blackberry? Crappy $5 flip phone?

j_martin

Admiral

Wow, all of these definitive answers (have to laugh at the "no" answers) and nobody even bothered to ask what phone you are speaking of..

I would assume anything with GPS, and in my case the cheaper the better.

j_martin

Admiral

Here's one that's attractive.

It looks like you could set up and test for 6 bucks, let the service lapse, and if needed re-instate the service for 6 bucks and get a month's tracking history.

http://www.accutracking.com/

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Garmin GPS Dog Tracker !!!................Will email you (or text) When the transmitter goes out of the programmed area. Then go online and trach its location...

Tracking Device for Dogs !!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you are wanting to spy on either your wife/GF, or your kids.

Proceed with caution!

???

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I have an Android phone and I can remotely, via website, track my phone down to which room of my house it's in, all without any indication on the phone itself. For free. The app is called "Lookout Mobile Security" and also provides anti-virus scanning.

But the obvious question still remains, what phone are we talking about? Windows Mobile OS? Android OS? Blackberry? Crappy $5 flip phone?

I think you may be missing the point. :eek:
The key phrase in your post is "my phone"....and i wouldn't disagree with your conclusion.
But clearly the OP wants to track "someone else's phone" without their knowledge...and presumably, still stay on the right side of the law.

That would be really problematic in Canada, and you guys have much more restrictive regs to protect privacy.

Which TV show had that line "Danger, Will Robinson...danger...!!" ?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Lost in Space :D

Attachments

• danger1.jpg
    danger1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think you may be missing the point. :eek:

I reread both posts and still don't see where he's asking for legal advice, just how to track "a phone", not "someone else's phone". Maybe my font is too small, but I tend to read the lines themselves instead of between them.