40 HP Evinrude Outboard smokes and idles rough

shane5579

Recruit
I just purchased a 1992 Tracker deep V 16' with an all original Evinrude 40 HP outboard motor. I took it on its maiden voyage today and everything ran fine at first, but after the 2nd restart, the engine wouldn't pop off right away. I had to give it some more gas and it would then run fine as long as I gave her enough throttle. Runs well at high speeds, but chugs a little at idle and idle first gear. Also, when it finally starts after a few tries, it tends to omit some blue smoke. Gas mixture is 50:1 (although I'm not sure what original mixture is needed since there was no manual with it) and was drained and replenished when I bought the boat. Now. this boat just had a carb cleaning job right before purchase, and like I said, the gas/oil is all new. Now, this did have an auto-oiler, but I unhooked and removed it for safety purposes. This boat and engine is like brand new, but has only been run a few times over a 10 year span. Is my gas/oil mixture messed up, or do I just need to run the heck out of it. Also, plugs were said to have been changed 7 years ago, so I did not change them again. Thanks so much for anyone's help in this matter.
Model# - TE40ELENM

Last edited:

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 40 HP Evinrude Outboard smokes and idles rough

I just purchased a 1992 Tracker deep V 16' with an all original Evinrude 40 HP outboard motor. I took it on its maiden voyage today and everything ran fine at first, but after the 2nd restart, the engine wouldn't pop off right away. I had to give it some more gas and it would then run fine as long as I gave her enough throttle. Runs well at high speeds, but chugs a little at idle and idle first gear. Also, when it finally starts after a few tries, it tends to omit some blue smoke. Gas mixture is 50:1 (although I'm not sure what original mixture is needed since there was no manual with it) and was drained and replenished when I bought the boat. Now. this boat just had a carb cleaning job right before purchase, and like I said, the gas/oil is all new. Now, this did have an auto-oiler, but I unhooked and removed it for safety purposes. This boat and engine is like brand new, but has only been run a few times over a 10 year span. Is my gas/oil mixture messed up, or do I just need to run the heck out of it. Also, plugs were said to have been changed 7 years ago, so I did not change them again. Thanks so much for anyone's help in this matter.
Model# - TE40ELENM

carburetors cleaned its not enough... what i would do if i were you since is a new boat for you is rebuild the carburetors, new water pump, thermostats, fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, and change the lower unit oil....

after all this is done and no improvement then you need to check the spark, timing and throttle...

50:1 is the correct mixture... why did you unhook the VRO? who said its unsafe?