Which paint

eavega

Lieutenant
I have decided to paint the deck on my '76 Yarcraft Yankee. I've read on several different threads that porch paint with some kind of traction additive will work about as well as topside paint. Specifically, Glidden Porch paint. I went today to my local HD, and there are two types there. I needed to know which type I'm supposed to use since neither are listed as appropriate for fiberglass.

The two types I saw was Polyurethane Oil Gloss, and Latex Satin. The two products seem to be totally different in composition, given the amount of warnings on the Polyurethane Oil Gloss.

Also, they didn't specify what to prime with if painting on fiberglass, only wood, existing paint, or concrete. Is there a specific primer you use, or do you just use the paint directly on the fiberglass?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Eric

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which paint

I have decided to paint the deck on my '76 Yarcraft Yankee. I've read on several different threads that porch paint with some kind of traction additive will work about as well as topside paint.
An excellent question for Glidden Customer Service 1-800-GLIDDEN (454-3336).

They mention boat decks here, but don't say if that's wood, metal, or fiberglass.

Porch & Floor Oil/Alkyd Polyurethane Data Sheet
http://www.duspec.com/DuSpec2/produ...ntType=datasheet&productCode=PF80XX&sort=code

No mention of boat decks here.

Porch & Floor Latex Data Sheet
http://www.duspec.com/DuSpec2/produ...ntType=datasheet&productCode=PF70XX&sort=name

Marine suppliers have a non-skid additive made from ground rubber rather than sand or pumice.

Free Bird

Cadet

IMHO It will end up looking like a boat painted with house paint. If you are using Home Depot buy a pack of sand additive anti-skid (it's made by Behr) and get quarts of Rustoleum Marine Paint. My Home Depot carries it also Ace Hardware and Lowes carry it. You can paint the deck and sprinkle the sand additive on or stir the additive into your paint can. I sprinkle using a pizza cheese shaker I got at Dollar Tree. You could also punch a bunch of holes in an old can and sprinkle away. I find this gives better control of how much anti skid the deck will have. The Rustoleum Marine Paint is nice and glossy. Porch paints are very thick and go on thick. I just did my screen porch last weekend. No way I would put it on a boat.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do go with porch and floor paint, do the oil based paint. Much tougher than any latex. I have used the lowes kind for about 10 years in a wooden jon, just needs a touch up occasionaly. been about 4 since my last coat.

Terry

eavega

Lieutenant

IMHO It will end up looking like a boat painted with house paint.

Not painting the whole boat, just the deck, and only up to the walk-thru windshield, as the bow portion is already gel-coated. Not even going to go all the way up the gunwales with it, just up to the storage compartments on the side. I'm sure it will look a lot better than the outdoor shag carpet that was in there when I started!

buy a pack of sand additive anti-skid (it's made by Behr)

I saw this in the paints section, and I am definitely going to give it a try. Other forums I belong to recommend blasting media, which can be obtained inexpensively from hardware stores. The Behr stuff seemed that it would be a little easier on the skin should you have a reason to make direct contact with the deck via a fall, or having to kneel down, or something like that.

Thanks for all the information. I'll definitely be calling Glidden Customer Service to get the specifics.

Rgds

Eric

eavega

Lieutenant

In case anyone has this question again, here was the definitive answer from Glidden Technical Support:

1. The Porch and Deck paint would be appropriate for a fiberglass boat deck PROVIDED its not gel coat. They did not feel confident with the paint's ability to adhere to gelcoat.

2. They recommend the Polyurethane Oil Gloss over latex product for this application, since the Polyurethane would be more resistant to moisture.

3. For bare fiberglass, the prep would be to clean surface thoroughly, rough up the fiberglass using 80-grit sandpaper, clean off any residue/dust, and use the product itself as primer. Second coat after 24 hours.

4. They definitely recommended some kind of traction additive b/c it can be slick when it dries.

-Eric

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Glidden actually made gel coat about 30 years ago, but it was only for a very short time.

Bonding to gel coat is the same as bonding to "fiberglass" in this situation, so it should work fine. gel coat is one of the best substrates for paints, they bond very well even without primer.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If you are looking for a cheap deck paint that at least claims to be for the purpose, you might want to check out this thread about the Rustoleum Marine Topside paint and anti-slip additive:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=396940

(Note: not an endorsement of the product; I am still experimenting before deciding on it myself)