force 125 compression specs/ rough idle

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
well my engine some times idles very roughs and shuts off. i wanted to rule out compression so i ran test. all cylinders were 126-130. however in my clymer manual it says should be 140-160 psi. is this a sign of engine problems?

now on to the rough idle, i believe its a carb problem? bowl is overflowing with fuel after it runs a few minutes, also my spark plugs were fouled wet, and black. it seems im running really rich. will carb rebuild fix this? if so what all should i replace? thanx in advance

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: force 125 compression specs/ rough idle

I have almost the exact same issues and compression, wet fouled plugs and black (1979 100hp chrysler). I have just replaced my fuel pump diaphragm and have not yet tested but I was told that it could be the problem. I believe your compression is fine. It could improve if you do a decarb. I will be doing this next time out. With regards to your carb issues , I would consider replacing the floats, needle and seats and all gaskets and thoroughly clean everything.

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

awesome , thanx jbird. im goin to get diaphram, and carb parts, but what exactly is decarb? how does it help compression?

ps. i found and ordered , needle, seat, and diaphram, but cannot find the float, the one here doesn list my motor as fitting. its an 89 125 hp. if you or anyone knows where i can find that please let me know, thanx.

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

ummm quick question, how do you remove the needle? the seat looks to be pressed into the body?