Alcohol stove

jhilton

Seaman
I have a 25' crownline cr with a alcohol stove, but i dont see where to put the fuel in. Any ideas. Thanks

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Alcohol stove

here is a possibility, Do you see the pump that looks like the one on a coleman stove???
Odds are the bottom of the pump unscrews and thats were the fuel goes in.
Just watch for flair up's
You have to "drip a small amount" into the burners first to pre heat, this can be done when the tank is preasured up, just release a little bit, shut off the flow, light, let it burn till the flame is almost out then open the flow control slowly.
Watch for flair up"s
repeat the pre burn if the burner flairs (you are looking for a nice blue flame)
Also, the O-RINGS have a tendincy to dry up over time, so beware.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Please do not use it to heat your cabin- not a nice way to go to sleep

jhilton

Seaman

It is electric also, but i dont see a tank, do you have to lift the whole thing out.

jhilton

Seaman

The wife and I make our own heat. If you know what I mean.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

First off, do you see the small pump, "IT could be a vertical push style, about 1+- inch around.
IF you see a small knob turn it a couple of rotations, then pull up on it
possibly between the burner/fuel controls

shuswap119

Seaman

Hi jhilton,

What is the make of your stove? Is it a Kenyon 213? If so check out this link. hhtp://kenyonappliances.com/uploads/product_documents/Alcohol:Electric66.pdf

The fuel tank is under the electric element and air deflector assembly.

Regards,

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's probably an Origo model... Lift up the entire stove unit burners and all (not just the top part that covers the burners). There should be a little button or lever that you pull or slide to release it, then the entire stove unit lifts up on its back hinge.

Once open, you should see a silver canister for each burner. It will have a metal wire mesh over the middle area, covering what looks like wool or cotton.

Take the canister OFF THE BOAT and carefully pour APPROVED STOVE ALCOHOL ONLY thru the mesh, slowly, so it soaks into the cotton. For occasional use, just add about a quarter cup or so because it will evaporate before the next use.

Put it back in the stovetop, close the unit, open the burner cover, move the heat control to full-blast, and stick a fire stick or match into the hold. Woof... You'll see a light blue flame (that can be nearly invisible). Modulate the control to achieve proper desired heat output. Move control to off in order to snuff it out.

At my marina we only have 15a service and our electric stoves continually blow the circuit. Alcohol has been great in my experience -- works very well in all but the windiest conditions (you really shouldn't close all the cabin windows when using the stove).

Hope this helps and good luck.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Yup I'm betting an Origo too. It's the most common single burner electric/alcohol stove for boats. I've got one in my 90 Carver.

dumy1

Cadet

After messing around with alcohol stove on previous boat(hard starts,flare ups, low heat) bought 2 single burner butane stoves. No fuss, no muss, worked great.
Good luck.
Ron