my bayliner just bit the dust!!!!!!!!!!!!

tds1774

Seaman
I've posted on here a few times with my bayliner capri, and gotten lots of great advice. I just came back from taking my boat out for the last time this season. I was cruising across the lake @ 4200 rpm when suddenly my engine exploded!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The entire distributer is dislocated from the block oil is everywhere, the alternator is almost sideways. the only thing I can think of that would cause something like this is a broken piston rod. anyway looks like Ive got a good parts boat. I do have acess to another volvo engine ( in a car) but that is another 500.00 and no way of knowing if it will even run with the marine accessories added.

1. :mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• 100_0055.jpg
    100_0055.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: my bayliner just bit the dust!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck would cause that?:confused::confused: Does the engine have a ton of hours on it..was it not taken care of properly?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont know why that would happen. Just wanted to say that sucks!:(

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

What engine/drive is it?

Terry

tds1774

Seaman

it's a 1986 bayliner capri 14' the engine is a 2.3l volvo penta with an aq275 drive. the engine was supposedly rebulit the summer before last according to the recipts I've found, but the engine was 180 deg out of time. And AMAZINGLY would start and run. I reset the timing and it ran pretty smooth until now. there was no warning just bang! im taking some pics tomorrow when I start tearing it apart. anyone need parts??????????????????????

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I might need parts.
How is the fresh water pump screen? how is the prop?

I might have to get in touch with you if you start piecing the boat out.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

For a engine to come apart like you are describing it had to be something major and not sure the dist being out would cause this condition. I could see it detonating do to incorrect timing and beating the bearings out of the motor until a bearing let go causing it to bust a rod however there would be signs waaay before this happened. Sounds more like a hydrolock condition where the cyl filled with water and had no other place to go other than out the side of the block. Either way sorry to hear about this happening.

Just my 2 cents!

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure but have been told that a car motor & a boat motor have different relationships (gear ratios, crankshaft offsets, cam lobe shapes, etc.) between the crank & the cam. The torque is different coming out the main drive shaft. One won't do a good job in the other.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

do a search here and on google for marine vs auto engine. i thought the difference as with the bolt on's like alt. starter and such, i'm pretty sure it can be done. someone here will know 4-sure

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Marine/auto diff 's include cam profile, brass freeze plugs, and sometimes different headgasket material. Also spark protected alt, dist, and flame arrester instead of air filter.

That being said, you can normally get away without the stuff in the first sentence, while the second group is required.

Terry

tds1774

Seaman

hey guys, thanks for all the replies and input. I am getting started on tearing this pos apart. upon further investigation this disaster seems to be caused by sorry craftsmanship! the mechanic that rebuilt the engine apparently dosent know a nut from a bolt and has never heard of locktite. the nuts on #1 piston rod backed off which allowed the bolts to shear slinging shrapnell thru the side of the block. i will post pics tonight (wife wont let me touch the camera with greasy hands). after looking @ the other engine, the block is exactly the same, the head appears to be the same, the differences seem to be, as far as I can tell, the distributer, intake, exhaust, thermostat housing, the cam pully for the distributer where the impeller pump shaft connects. I would definately have to strip both engines down to the block & head then swap everything over. I just dont know if its worth putting the extra money into it. you guys give me your input;
boat and trailer: 1500.00(did not run properly)
impeller x 2: 92.00
exhaust bellows: 96.00
distributer cap :49.00
rotorbutton:12.00
plywood floor: 60.00
lights: 60.00
seats:90.00
thermostat: 40.00
investment so far:$1999.00

work that still needs to be done: 1) stringers and transom replacement ( not certain they're bad, but might as well now) 2) buy new propeller 300.00 est 3)
buy 1983 volvo 240l just for the engine 500.00.
looks like a minimum of $3000.00 for a 1986 model boat. I just dont think this small and old a boat is worth that kind of money.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Only you can make that call, but boats are always going to cost money and will never be worth what you put into them. Just get out as often as you can in order to maximise your fpd (fun per dollar).

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion.. Part it out and cut your losses.

Stringer and transom are not small jobs and you'll be out a summer of fun to boot. For $3K you can get a decent used already on the water.

On a side note, you guys amaze me in your knowledge of auto engines! I look at the things and wonder how anyone can tear the things apart, and I see post after post about someone rebuildign an engine "just because it was time". Awe-inspiring and something I hope to learn at some point.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I can tell you that I sold my 1986 Capri 1600 for $1800.00, and that was after all the work I'd done to it.

Ok, for me...I've never been a big fan of going back and seeing how much you've spent. That money is gone...and if you try to sell a boat with a bad motor, how much will you realistically get for a 1986 14ft Bayliner? $500? $700?

IMO, that's where you need to start counting the money from...so...if you sell the boat for $750...how much more money will it take to get you into another boat with an unknown history vs. doing the motor (if you're capable) yourself.

Are you sure the stringers & transom are bad? If they are...I would sell it and move on...if they're not, I'd probably fix the engine if I could do it myself.

So...my advice is to find out the condition of the transom & stringers first...then go from there.

tds1774

Seaman

i started tearing this thing apart not the craftsmanship issue I origonally thought. this was something major mabey steel fatigue or stress cracks or something technical like that. I started another thread with pics of this thing. they are curious. look forward to hearing what yall say about this.

Attachments

• 100_0202.jpg
    100_0202.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0201.jpg
    100_0201.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Connecting rods can break with no warning. It's not common, but it does happen.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you re-timed the engine, it was probably too advanced, thus destroying the piston and or rod. Volvo red bricks are known for durabilty, but no engine will take pre ignition very well.