Smoke on the water

1stevel

Cadet
Newbie here and i was wondering if it is normal for the engine to start smoking from the exhaust after it reaches operating temp, the boat is out of water and i hooked the ear muffs, I have a 1990 4.3 mercuriser and the motor looks to be in really good shape and the previous owner said it was rebuilt a year and a half years ago and has been sitting in the garage ever since, i changed the oil so its fresh. the smoke really don't have an order other then exhaust smell to it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smoke on the water

Howdy,

Well, you'll have to be a little more specific. what color is the "smoke"?

It may not be smoke at all but steam..............Since you have an exhaust system that has water in close proximity to it you'll have have a little steam when you start it on a flush adapter...

If it's black smoke.....then your automatic choke may be stuck.

If it's blue smoke, you may have excessive oil in the combustion chambers......(rings, valve guides etc.....)

Regards,

Rick

1stevel

Cadet

First off thanks for the reply, the smoke is white and its only after the motor reaches operating temp of 160+, like i said I'm a newbie boat owner and i am just not sure what is normal, hopefully it is steam like you said or should i be looking for something else?

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

A little steam is OK, check it once you get her in the lake. Excessive steam is a bad thing.