Alpha one lower unit removal

ffchstr

Cadet
Hi guys!<br /><br />I'm trying to remove the lower unit on my Sea Ray, and it isn't cooperating. I've pulled the four bolts, removed the speed pickup tube and the nut in front of it. I've beat on the lower unit with a soft mallet and slightly loosened the front part, but the back just won't budge! Is there a trick to this or do I just need to keep trying? Maybe hold my mouth a different way? Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated!!<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Dave

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alpha one lower unit removal

You remove the allen head bolt that secures the trim tab? Uh...I think there's supposed to be one anyway. I'm a Type 1 guy myself...not nearly as familiar with the Alpha... Just doesn't seem you've removed enough fasteners.<br /><br />Have you tried a search in here?? Go to search and pull up Trent's member number. I'll bet he's already posted all you need to know. He posts some really good info...<br /><br />Walt

Strike Force

Recruit

I just took mine off and there is a bolt in the back - Up above the propeller there is a small plastic tab about the size of a quarter - pop that tab off and underneath there will be an allen bot or two hex head bolts. And by the transome there is one bolt that is in from the top. You have to remove six or seven bolts to remove your lower unit. One bolt holds the round tab. If you only removed five bolts then you missed some. Hope this helps - let me know. Depends which generation Alpha One you have to. If it is a 2000 or so then it is a hex head bolt. If it is older then it is a allen bolt.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try a search using Trent's member no. 5186 for a post he put up on July 8, 2002. He posted a site that details removal of the Alpha Gen 1 gear box and replacement of the impeller.<br /><br />Walt

Trent

Captain

Dont use my number...Use Walters cause he is the Man!! You have not removed enough bolts or nuts. Do as Walter said and remove the trim anode. Then you will see the nut thats holding the lower unit on.

ffchstr

Cadet

Thanks guys!!!<br /><br />It's amazing how easily things come apart when you take all the bolts out! Yup, I took out the last two bolts and the lower unit dropped right out. Smooth as can be! <br /><br />Thanks again! You guys are the best!!!<br /><br />Dave