When do you change the bellows?

hostage

Lieutenant
I was looking at a boat yesterday and the bellows were intact, no tears in them, but it looked like there were cracks between the folds, kind of like dry skin looking.

Thanks for your input,
Doron

Attachments

• 0519001715.jpg
    0519001715.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: When do you change the bellows?

Rule of thumb for Mercruiser. Replace after 5 years.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Just from the looks of that picture those are WAY over due to be replaced.

ziggy

Admiral

in your case, it's been to long and your on borrowed time. those could spring a leak any day now. leaking bellows can sink a boat. time to find out how much fun it is to replace them i'd think.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

When do you change the bellows?

before they look like the ones you posted. Cheap little rubber boot gets real expensive if it ruptures.

45Auto

Commander

If you're thinking about buying that boat you had better pull the outdrive and check the condition of the u-joints, gimbal bearing, and input shaft. I wouldn't be surprised to find it full of water. No way to tell from the outside if the bellows is leaking or not, all it takes is one little crack that goes all the way through - and that one has plenty of possibilities!

ziggy

Admiral

after looking at the pic for a bit. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say i think it's a pic of exhaust bellows. if so, they are much less critical and if the rip it won't sink your boat.

it is a still a red flag to be checking all the bellows though. back to Don S' 5 year interval.

hostage

Lieutenant

It was the biggest rubber tube there. I don't think the other ones were in as bad shape.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It was the biggest rubber tube there. I don't think the other ones were in as bad shape.

Are you sure the picture you posted was the largest bellows? It sure looks like the exhaust bellows to me, which is the large bellows underneath the even larger bellows.

It is not uncommon for someone to replace the drive bellows and not the exhaust bellows, because, as mentioned above, it is not that big a deal.

But yes - if you are thinking of buying a boat, I too would suggest pulling the drive if the seller will let you and taking a look. Then replace the bellows if you are unsure of their condition.

hostage

Lieutenant

yeah, I was looking at some youtube videos and i saw it is the exhaust bellows.

hostage

Lieutenant

I went back to check the bellows out on the boat and I even was able to speak to the mechanic. He said he replaced the exhaust bellows about 5 years ago and never did any other bellows. Oddly enough it looks like the other bellows are in much better condition.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you do buy the boat, I would replace both. I would do as others suggested and have the drive pulled to see if there is water in the bellows though.

If the drive was stored up all the time, that puts more strain on them. That may be why the exhaust bellows is so cracked.