1987 Evinrude 70 hp no spark

beck4

Seaman Apprentice
Ok i have a 70 hp evinrude with no spark, any ideas. i replaced the power pack, rectifier and i put new ngk plugs in it. i know the grounds are good because the engine cranks but im just not getting any spark. the motor quit while i was at full throdle on the river. some one told me to check the stator but i thought the stator just charged the battery, kinda like an alternator on a car. does it have anything to do with spark??

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1987 Evinrude 70 hp no spark

Did you try unpluging the black yellow wire that comes from the power pack? This is a kill wire and if you get a short any where in the circuit it will kill the motor.

beck4

Seaman Apprentice

Lion Hunter, let me get this straight u want me to unplug the yellow/black wire then try 2 start it. and if it does start what does that mean. what will need to be replaced. and with it disconnected if i do get a short will if fry other electrical?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The black wire w/yellow stripe (not yellow/black) is the kill switch circuit. This wire makes a loop from the power pack back to a ground with a kill switch in between. So when the ground is completed you kill the motor (no spark). If there is a short anywhere this wire gets grounded and kills the motor. Therefore if you unhook this wire from the plug at the back of the motor you are eliminating that possibility. If it does start it means that that wire or the switch has a short somewhere in the circuit (pinched wire, key switch, man overboard switch). Also if it does start you will need to kill the motor with the choke. And make sure that all the wires from the power pack plug are pushed in all the way, they do have a tendency to pull out. With the key and motor off I use a Ohm meter and push the probes into the back of the plug in on either side to make sure there is continuity. If it has a man overboard lanyard make sure the clip is in.