leaking water into boat from outdrive?

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat is a 19' starcraft islander with a 3.0 and alpha 1 drive, year 1984. Water is leaking into the bildge, running down the plate that bolts to transom. The bellows are in new condition, no age cracks etc. We were anchored and still fishing so the motor was not running when I noticed the bildge pump cycling more than I thought was right. The leak is far from a gusher but its something I know that has to be dealt with. Any suggestions on where to begin much appreciated! Thought I'd put the muffs on it tomorrow and see if water still leaks? Thanx....Dan

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: leaking water into boat from outdrive?

when I noticed the bildge pump cycling more than I thought was right.

If it is not raining - it shouldn't need to run at all. If it was leaking while just sitting, I doubt you will find anything on muffs.

Best thing to do is float it and get your head in there and identify the "high point" of your leak. You may need to do a complete transom reseal.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You might want to find a nice spot from the inside to drill into the transom and inch and see if you get rotted wood or not.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

take a close look at the bellows for the shift cable(the small 0ne)it goes through the most deflection in normal use....put the boat back in the water,listen in that area with the motor off,turn the steering side to side,if the sound changes its probly the bellows...

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

and may be one of the boats fittings,areator drain ect.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a good look at things today and all the bellows really appear to be in very good shape, not stiff or aged looking and no visible cracks. Did find a couple of the hose clamps were loose so I snugged them up and will put it back in the water over the weekend and keep my fingers crossed!