Water Leaks around Belt area of engine (VP)

briguybro

Cadet
1979 Bedouin Tri-hull with Volvo Penta 280 and GM 350 engine (Volvo Penta 255B engine). Water leaks out of holes on the belt wheel that also holds the impeller. At an idle, it's a steady drip and at high RPM, the water flows faster and gets flung up in a spray by the belt. I've attached a photo with an arrow pointing to the little holes where the water drips out of. The photo is not an actual photo of my engine because my boat is covered and not easy to get to right now, but it is a similar set up that I found on a google search. The engine runs fine and does not overheat at all. The previous owner said that its been doing that for the last 2 years and he just drove it like that and ran the bilge pump every hour or so. What is causing this leak and is it a problem as long as I keep an eye on the temperature gauge? If it's an inexpensive fix for me to do myself, I definitely want to fix it, but if it's more than $500 or so and does not damage anything else running it as is, I'll just live with it.

Attachments

• Engine Leak.jpg
    Engine Leak.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Water Leaks around Belt area of engine (VP)

A new one of those is $295 from Sierra, # 18-3586.

briguybro

Cadet

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late acknowledgement. I was out of town for the weekend. Is there any problems with running the boat as is for a while as long as I check the temperature gauge all the time? I probably won't order the part until next paycheck (2 more weeks) and I still want to take it out in the evenings until then. Also is there any gasket kit or any extra parts that I would need beside just Sierra, # 18-3586?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Eventually the bearings will come apart.the belts fly off and you destroyed the motor from overheating.
Best bet is to replace it now.

A couple hundred now or a few grand later for a new motor....:rolleyes:

briguybro

Cadet

Installed a new water pump and problem solved. Unfortunately a water hose burst on the first time running the boat after the new pump. After replacing that, no more water leaks into my bilge. Thanks guys.