help on force 120 ldrive

tigu3re

Recruit
hey everyone im new here and new at boating also. i m having a problem with my 1990 19' bayliner capri ldrive model 120ld90c engine the problem i have is that my shift cable keeps bending on me at the end that connects to the l drive. It has a quick release ball joint my dad says you have to remove it when you want to pull up the ldrive but i dont think it goes that way i dont know lol can anyone help i also read post saying to stay away from this model

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: help on force 120 ldrive

Welcome, This is the same motor I have but I have never had this problem. There is a lot of great help here I am sure you will get the answer soon.

tigu3re

Recruit

thz for tha welcome yea had it for a year and i love the way she looks i have replaced all the seals i just dont know if i have the wrong cable cause i have replaced it once and took the old one with me when i brought it

Babylon519

Cadet

The cable down at the gear case has to run inside the metal sheath or else it will "bend" and won't shift into reverse. When the shifter is put into reverse, it extends that cable which is the same as pushing a rope! If the cable is contained in the metal sheath, it acts like a solid rod. But if the metal sheath separates at one of the points where it telescopes, then the cable will be free to bend, and won't have the rigidity required to move the shift lever. The sheath is a two-piece telescoping thing about 6 inches long when extended. This is the problem I'm having, and I don't want to buy a whole new cable just to get a new sheath.