cutting floor

jelli

Seaman
i want to add a bilg pump to my 15 foot boat i cant remove the floor becouse of the screws being rusted how should i go about cuting a hole in the floor with out too much trubble or cutting something i shoudent any ideas about getting the screws out

thanx

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: cutting floor

Can you drill out the screws? Can you use penetrating oil to soak the screws?

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The most obvious answer to how you should go about cutting out your deck (floor) is "very carefully!" ..... I did mine using a handheld grinder with a gutting wheel and very, very carefully plunged it into the deck...kept checking to make sure I didn't go too deep. Worked find....good luck.

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about determining the best place first, try locating any bracing or bulkheads by using a very small drill bit and wire to see if its clear underneath. After that get a deck plate and make the hole that size. that way when your done with the pump, you can use the deck plate to cover the hole. I prefer the screw type covers as they are nearly water proof, the pop out type can pop out and leak.

To cut the hole if the deck plate idea is used, the best way to cut is a thin blade jig saw. if its wood or fiberglass that would cut the easiest.

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

drill out the screws
start with a 1\16" drill bit in the center of the screw head
go slow and use some oil for lube
then move up in drill size until the head comes out with the bit
then just lift the panel up
Mike

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I've cut the deck in boats using a circular saw with the blade depth set to barely penetrate the actual wood deck material. This way the base plat of the saw prevent cutting too deep.