Water drain plug OMC Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:mad:
Well I think I really messed up this one! I just got this boat a1991 four Winns with a cobra OMC IO. I was going to check the OD fluid and took out the wrong plug. It was a water drain plug. When I tried to put it back in there was a little metal piece that the screw went it too but it kept dropping out of the center and I could not get the screw started. In messing around it fell down in there somewhere. What are my options? Do I need to see a mechanic? Not a way to start the season!

Thanks,

Brian in MI

Last edited:
Re: Water drain plug OMC Cobra

You CAN put the plug back in without pulling the drive, but damn it sucks and will give you a headache! I did that to mine, and if i remember correctly, i used a small piece of wire to hold the nut in place, and after number attempts, I got the thread to catch and got it in. Will never pull that plug again!

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow what a lesson to learn! It fell down in there and I can see it! Isn't that a plug that had to come out to drain? On the plus side there is a place not far from here where my neighboor goes to get his work done. It will be a good time to have the universals greased and have the bellows checked.
Thanks for all the replies!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

:mad:
Well I think I realyl messed up this one! I just got this boat a1991 four Winns with a cobra OMC IO. I was going to check the OD fluid and took out the wrong plug. It was a water drain plug. When I tried to put it back in there was a little metal piece that the screw went it too but it kept dropping out of the center and I could not get the screw started. In messing around it fell down in there somewhere. What are my options? Do I need to see a mechanic? Not a way to start the season!

Thanks,

Brian in MI

Yes. You messed up. You removed the "NEVER REMOVE" plug/screw/etc.

You must remove the drive to retrieve the nut-plate that is behind the hole. (You should remove the drive anyway to do what you describe anyway! Lube U-joints, inspect bellows, check alignment etc)

The service manual is completely silent on that screw too, by the way....

You really didn't hurt anything but you should find that nut plate because it could get lodged in the water hose or fitting in the transom mount and could restrict water flow and cause overheats....

OMC probably thought no one would ever find that "screw" since there's supposed to be an OMC emblem over it.... You had one but it either was removed by someone or it fell off!

Regards,

Rick

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Retrieved it now what?

Retrieved it now what?

OK somehow I was able to get the missing peice out. Now does anyone have any ideas how to hold it in place to get the screw to catch? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Drain Hole in OMC.jpg
    Drain Hole in OMC.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Plug Parts.jpg
    Plug Parts.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:cool:If I get it back in at least I can use the boat a few times before I have the mechanic pull the drive. The drive was off last summer (I helped) and the joints were greased then.

Yes. You messed up. You removed the "NEVER REMOVE" plug/screw/etc.

You must remove the drive to retrieve the nut-plate that is behind the hole. (You should remove the drive anyway to do what you describe anyway! Lube U-joints, inspect bellows, check alignment etc)

The service manual is completely silent on that screw too, by the way....

You really didn't hurt anything but you should find that nut plate because it could get lodged in the water hose or fitting in the transom mount and could restrict water flow and cause overheats....

OMC probably thought no one would ever find that "screw" since there's supposed to be an OMC emblem over it.... You had one but it either was removed by someone or it fell off!

Regards,

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

:cool:If I get it back in at least I can use the boat a few times before I have the mechanic pull the drive. The drive was off last summer (I helped) and the joints were greased then.

Yeah,

That would work.

No one seems to know why the hole is there to begin with! Any way you could plug it would be ok too I suppose!

You're in a BIG "club" now of people who have done this!!

Cheers,

Rick

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Someone told me to use that sticky make a gasket stuff to hold the plate on. I am going to let it dry out in there before I try anything.

cr2k

Captain

Never pull any bolt/screw that is Phillips or is/was under a decal.

Pulling the drive is easy. Get the gasket set unhook the rams and 6 bolts. your're out. long pliers to hold the rubber and the thread block and you are back in business. OMC Cobra do this in neutral.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone told me to use that sticky make a gasket stuff to hold the plate on. I am going to let it dry out in there before I try anything.

The plug is just there to cover the hole (who knows why they did that). Try the gasket stuff, but just a tad to hold it in place (again just use a little bit). Use a piece of solid thin stiff wire to hold it there for a while till it dries and stays in place, then thread it all back together. Props for pulling all that out!! LOL!! Let us know!!

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to do it this afternoon and will let you all know. Thanks again for all the replies!

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:):)Success!
I used some marine adhesive on the part and inside of the hole and it held when I started the screw. Thanks again for all the help here and safe boating to all!

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well put it in yesterday and it ran great. Thanks again for all the help here!

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you pulled the plug in the center on the port side you have to pull the drive off to get the nut that droppped.

madmaxracing58

Recruit

is the plug magnetic i cannot see it. everyone says to pull the drive apart to get it. If i was that smart the screw would not have been removed in the first place.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start your own thread, you may have missed the announcement at the top of this forum.

-------------Please DO NOT reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do Not write in them.
1. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

2. Do not take over someone else?s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

3. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

4. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it?s posted at the end of someone else?s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

Thank You for your cooperation
The Moderators

Status
Not open for further replies.