Where can I get parts & etc for a 50's Johnson

JAPK

Cadet
I was wondering where can a person get full set of gaskets,seals,piston rings,water pump and etc for a 1955 johnson 5.5 and other 50's johnsons..

Thanks for looking
JAPK

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where can I get parts & etc for a 50's Johnson

sea-way.com would be the most likely to have all of the parts in one place.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If sea-way doesn't have what you need, then try the other places on the list here.

sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com

CATransplant

Admiral

I was wondering where can a person get full set of gaskets,seals,piston rings,water pump and etc for a 1955 johnson 5.5 and other 50's johnsons..

Thanks for looking
JAPK

Hmm...I think the first question you'd want to ask is why you're rebuilding that outboard. If it's for nostalgic reasons, like it belonged to your grandfather and you want to put it back in original condition, then it might be worth rebuilding to that extent.

If not, then it's probably not a worthwhile expenditure of funds and time. There are thousands and thousands of those 5.5s and other 50's Johnson and Evinrude outboards out there in good running condition, and at very low prices. In almost all cases, a complete teardown and rebuilding is simply going to cost way more than your outboard is worth. If you can buy a good-running replacement for less, that's the way to go.

On the other hand, rebuilding the magneto makes sense and is affordable. Same with resealing a lower unit. But a major overhaul? Unless there is an excellent reason to do it, I don't see the point. There will be another one available on the market shortly that already runs well, and for much less than the cost for pistons, rings, bearings, and gaskets. Not to mention the time needed to run down those parts and do the work.

It's up to you, of course, but...

JAPK

Cadet

I was my grandfathers he bought it new and gave it to me when I was 14 now I am 37.I want to competely go threw it for memorys. I just bought a 1985 9.9 Johnson that needs carb work.It has been sitting in a basement for the last 19 years looks just like new under the cover and everywhere.Truns over good.I will me more then like posting some things on here about it..Everyone is so nice to a new comer on here.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

JAPK

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The first thing you want to do is get a parts book specific to the motor. Then when you go shopping for a part, go armed with the part numbers. The first place to look is an Evinrude dealer. You would be surprised at how much stuff is still available. But many dealers won't give you the time of day on something that old. But it is surprising at how their attitude changes when you have the number and all they have to do is put it on their regular order and collect your money. Heck, they might not have the parts book themselves--no wonder they won't mess with you.

Same thing when shopping at someplace like Sea-Way. Make it easy by having the part number.

Finally, on parts such as impellers, carb kits, seals, and igniton, right here at iboats is the place.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Here is the parts list for the CD-12:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/376397/37639700001.htm
37639700001im.jpg