Yamaha Dies on throttle up

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 Yamaha 130 (130tlrx), on my last trip out the motor would bog down and die when I throttled up. This only happened when I really hammered on it. If I opened the throttle slowly it had no problem. It seemed to idle and run fine at all RPMs. I used it two days before that with no problems whatsoever. I suspect this may be a carburetor issue but would like to know if there is anything else I should check out. If anyone has any ideas about what would cause this or how to troubleshoot it I would appreciate hearing them.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha Dies on throttle up

I believe you are on the right track with the carbs. It could be other things but that us where you need to start. Do a complete breakdown and clean the jets well also. Be careful not to get cleaning solvent on the gaskets because it will deform them to the point they will not be usable. If the problem still exists after this let us know and we'll go to the next step. Good Luck!!!!!

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice

Do the carburetors need to be synchronized after cleaning? I plan to try and fix the problem this weekend.

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice

I removed and cleaned the carbs, fuel filter under cowling and replaced the fuel pump. Took it out for a test run earlier and everything is fine now. If I had to guess I would say the problem was the fuel pump because the carbs and filter looked clean.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Pumps are easy to test with a pressure/ vacuum gauge to see if they are providing the proper pressure and suction, or to see if there is a restriction in the line.
Or just take loose and pump primer to see if they leak is a way to check if diaphragm is ruptured.