UPDATE! Drive spitting at top cover (see pics)

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: UPDATE! Drive spitting at top cover (see pics)

Nobody has seen or heard of it? I guess that little trickle shouldn't bother the cooling? Seems to run at temp on muffs. Good indicator that drive pump is working. Would like to see some feed back on this one, opinions? Thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral

its normal. The slits are there to let a little water into the cavities for cooling purposes.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

There's water in the cavitys with out the slits. The slits let a trickle of water out the cap so you can see that it's pumping water it seems.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

There's water in the cavitys with out the slits. The slits let a trickle of water out the cap so you can see that it's pumping water it seems.

I cannot imagine it is normal for water to be spraying out of there. It would seem to me to indicate you have a leak in the cooling passages. Perhaps the pipe is not seated correctly in the pump? :confused:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I have an empty Alpha case laying in my shop. Out of curiosity I poked and prodded, even blew compressed air in the various cavities. Those two cavites at the top are simply dead ends. They don't connect with the water passage.

The only thing I can think of is either a corroded passage that has broken through or a flawed casting.

But I will be anxious to see what the more experienced techs have to say.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's the pic you posted in case someone doesn't bother to click on the link:

Picture_033.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

There not supposed to leak there. Looks like a good time to split the unit and find out where it`s coming from.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

There's not suppose to be water in those two cavitys? Hmmm? What are the little grooves for that i circled in red i wonder?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Doc can you post the other two pics on here for me too please? Thanks

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty sure that is not normal. I would drain your outdrive oil and see if it's got water in it. From the picture it looks like the your gears are in an oil water soup.

Here is my SEI replacement for my alpha 1. I know it's not the same, but I have the same cutouts you do but no water spitting. I could be completely wrong though, just never seen that before.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Even if i split the drive again i dont think i could see anything way up in there.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

justjason said:
its normal. The slits are there to let a little water into the cavities for cooling purposes.

Doh.... There are slits and cavities up there, and that's normal. I missed the part about it whizzing water.... that's definitely NOT normal.

Somehow your getting water into the upper unit and the O-Ring seal has failed. Weird really. How much water is in the gear lube?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

What o=ring failed? The oring on the top cover is fine and there;s no water in my oil. It'd bubbly because i had just previously run it before removing the cover.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Probably the casting is corroded thru or, most likely, cracked from freezing if water was trapped in there. If water shoots thru where it shown, than it should shoot thru a little drain holes on the sides as well. And since it doesn't I would assume that they are clogged and water was trapped in those cavities and froze.