Yamaha Fuel Gauge Issue

I?m reading the Yamaha owner?s manual and they say, ?The Yamaha fuel tank sensor is different from a conventional-type sensor. A wrong setting of the selector switch on the meter will give incorrect readings. Consult with your Yamaha dealer for correct settings.?

Where is this Selector Switch and how do I adjust it?

The reason I?m asking is that on Sunday we went out for a ride over to the marina for fuel and the gas dock was full, so I went down a lagoon and waited. That?s when the engine died. I couldn?t get it to stay running like it was out of fuel, so I went to the back and tried to prime the fuel bulb which was soft. Realizing that I was out of fuel in the Main tank, I switched over to the Auxiliary tank and the primer bulb pumped fuel up to the engine and it ran fine. Even thought the main tank was empty, the Yamaha digital fuel gauge still showed two bars or 1/4 of a tank! Getting to the gas dock I put 30 gallons into the Main tank and it then showed around 1/2 of a tank (on a 90 gal tank). The boat?s a ?97 23 Grady w/ ?97 Yamaha ox66 250, if it helps.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Fuel Gauge Issue

I dont have the rigging manual here but on the back of the speedometer,if its yamaha digital, there is a rubber plug.
that meter can read the yamaha sender,the european senders or the standard US market 35 to 235 ohm senders which is what you have.
I doubt its the meter most likly the sender.

Yes, it's a Yamaha multi function digital gauge. I too felt that it was probably the sender that's bad (based on prior experiences with other boats).

Is this something that my Grady/Yamaha dealer will stock?

Should I just replace the current sender with a stock replacement unit, or should/can I purchase an upgraded different one that is designed better / will last longer?

Replacing the sender will definitely give me piece of mind when making trips out to the ocean. Seeing that this is a new boat to me, I'm trying to learn how much fuel it uses on a typical trip, and a faulty fuel reading isn't helping.

Rodbolt, let me ask you one other question. If this was your engine, which oil would you use in a '97 ox66 250, as I want to make sure that I keep both the internals & O2 sensor clean? FYI, I plan on using Startron to preserve the fuel and Ringfree to keep her clean.

Thank you again for your expert advice!

Rodbolt, let me ask you one other question. If this was your engine, which oil would you use in a '97 ox66 250, as I want to make sure that I keep both the internals & O2 sensor clean? FYI, I plan on using Startron to preserve the fuel and Ringfree to keep her clean.

Thank you again for your expert advice!