not spitting water out

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys.. my buddy has a 95 mercury 60hp outdrive.. we hooked up muffs (very little water pressure)-garden hose with bad pressure)... and there was no water comming out the top spout. so we checked the hose inside the cover and its completely cleared. no clog. then i checked the impeller and it still loks brand new but slides out of the housing easily. also from the muff holes to the impeller is clear unclogged. then from the lower half all the way up to the hose under the cover we used compressed air and its clear.. could it just be the bad water pressure from the hose? or could it be the impeller? or anything else? thanks again-

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: not spitting water out

If the impellor slides easily on the shaft is the locking pin installed? If the impellor is spinning it won't pump.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put a new impeller in a 9.9 evinrude last week with the same issue. the impeller looked good with no missing chunks or cracks, but when I pulled it out of the housing, the rubber impeller blades kept there bent over shape. this is bad. if the impeller blades don't spring straight out when removed from the housing, there're not going to pump ample water to keep the engine cool.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Impellers are cheap, and if you don't know how old it is, it's too old. Agree with budd- if it came out easily, it's shot. If you've ever put one in, you know how you have to twist the DS to get it to 'seat', that's how much 'spring' the rubber has new. When it won't push out against the side of the housing, it a'int movin enough water.