no spark 135hp evinrude

1984procraft

Cadet
i have a 1976 evinrude 135hp. was running two weeks ago, took out for fishing trip ran great. went back to the lake couple of days later and would not start, fuel pump went bad, i replaced fuel pump, and changed key switch (the boat had one from lawn mower) after i replaced the switch we tried to start it and had no luck, no spark the battery was kinda weak from trying to get it to start at the lake, i found a posting on this site that said the engine needed to turn 300rpm's to create spark so we connected booster cables to the battery and to a vehicle and we got spark on #2 and #4 cylinders but not #1 or #3 i changed trigger and stator, now i dont have spark on any of the cylinders, so i disconnected the two wires that are side x side on the rectifier and still no luck.................any help would be greatly appreciated

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: no spark 135hp evinrude

Test for spark with all of the spark plugs out, using a grounded tester.
You can get an idea from CDI model,but you can make one from boards and nails if you want. If you get no spark, follow the troubleshooting steps found here: http://cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/113-1731.pdf

Your CD ignition should deliver a sharp blue spark across a gap of at least 3/8" on each plug wire with no load on the engine (plugs removed).

38089.jpg

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the large red plug at the engine wiring harness. Jump the starter motor, and see if you have spark. If not, disconnect the black-yellow wire at the pulse pak, and try again. If the engine does not have fire after these test's, you will need to trouble shoot entire system.

1984procraft

Cadet

thanks for your help......i found the problem, was in the the key switch, now my starter is dragging and won't turn the engine fast enough to fire so i guess i need to find a new/used starter.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Before you condemn the starter, try using jumper cables direct to the starter. If it turns over quickly, you may have a bad starter solenoid. Also, you can replace the brushes in the old starter which may breathe new life into it. If you do get into a starter teardown, they usually need a to be cleaned internally and relubbed.

1984procraft

Cadet

thanks for the advice.......i replaced the brushes in starter assembly,seems like the starter is turning engine fast enough, but now i have no spark again, i am getting sick of this engine i don't know what to do!!! any more help would be greatly be appreciated..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It's unlikely that all four spark plug coils went at once, so there are three remaining ignition components: the power pack, the timer base and the stator. They are all rather expensive, so some time spent diagnosing them will pay dividends in the long run. Do you have a factory service manual for the engine? There are extensive ignition troubleshooting sections in it.

1984procraft

Cadet

i do not have a manual. i replaced stator and trigger (is trigger the same as timer base?) from a running engine that blowed a head gasket. i assumed that the parts were good. not 100% positive, can i remove sensor wires and coil wires from the power pack and connect them together to see if the powerpack is bad. if so can i expect to do it safely without damaging anything else?..............any help would be greatly appreciated.........p.s. i am completly stumped on this one

1984procraft

Cadet

thats a good idea....thanks for the link....where is the sensor and how do you gap it?

1984procraft

Cadet

thanks for the suggestions .....i set the gap a little closer and now i have the engine running great...i fired it up let it idle for a few mins, shut it down and let it cool for about an hour and fired it again. i did this a few times to make sure the engine was going to continue firing and running great... so i hope this is the last time i have to spend a week working on anything again.....thanks to all who replied to this post hopefully someone else can gain alittle knowledge from this and not have to learn the hard way......thanks again JJ