Are all modern head gaskets tacky when new?

dazk14

Ensign
I just did a valve job on a Volvo AQ 151A 4 cylinder freshwater cooled (50/50 antifreeze mix).

The head gasket came with a peel off plastic sheet. The gasket was not tacky at all - unusual given the head gaskets I've used in the past(none VP)

I installed it and after I refilled the system with coolant a couple days later I noticed a tiny coolant leak about teaspoon or so had leaked and coming from between the block and head.

With a smidge of pressure in the tank a tiny drop forms and it is coming from the honeycombed metal core of the gasket.

Head has been torqued correctly.

Do you think when the gasket heats up, it'll get tacky, compress a bit, re-torque and I'm good to go...

or did I buy a crap gasket kit and I'm screwed. The brand was Elwis.

I suppose this is a poll of sorts...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Are all modern head gaskets tacky when new?

I doubt it's the head gasket causeing the problem. Being tacky or not has nothiing to do with it leaking.
Was both surfaces perfectly clean and flat?
One thing I have noticed from several apprentice mechanics, is they like to use fiber cleaning pads on air or electric tools, which can round over edges causing a non flat surface that will not seal under any circumstances.

dazk14

Ensign
Re: Are all modern head gaskets tacky when new?

Thanks Don for the quick reply.

The Aluminum head just came back from the machine shop and they milled it .006.

The block is cast iron and was cleaned using a new scraper and meticulously cleaned with acetone(incl the head to remove any residual oils).

The strange thing is it's literally within a 1/2" of a head bolt that gets torqued ~80ft/lbs (it's angular torque).

So, can you say that not all gaskets come tacky? I work on outboards and can't remember the last time I saw a tack free head gasket.

Thanks again,
Mike